Carrier Ideas

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 6, 2007.

Carrier Ideas

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 6, 2007.

1. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I have always been a fan of capital shps in starcraft and seeing the nice new toys most of the units are getting including the awsome plasma torpedo upgrade for the the battlecruiser it seems only fair that the venerable carrier shout get something new.

here is a couple of my own ideas:

A choice between much stronger shields or another increase in carrying capaicty (on top of the orginal 4 and +4)

Maybe give carriers different kinds of inteceptors like one kind that can do splash dmg and one kind that has great AA but no ATG

Or maybe how about a choice between a hardened GTA or ATA shield vs an actual bas attack for the carrier.

P.S. While i doupt blizzard would ever do this it is a nice way to brainstorm ideas and who knows maybe blizzard will implement something like this.

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Re: Carriers

Well, Blizz seems to be rolling with the idea of branched upgrade trees. Who knows? After reading, I thought a combo of the first two would be good. Either another capacity increase, or a Interceptor that splashes or does more damage.

3. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

ha they are just tempest with name change really ::)

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

No, actually, they're the original Carriers with a tad different color scheme.

Scratch that. I dunno what I was thinking, sorry.

5. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space

the tempest felt more like a weakened original carrier rather than the new carriers feeling/looking like the tempest.

6. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!

Does anyone have a picture of the new look? I haven't seen it yet.

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Yeah, like General said, it's the Tempest, but bigger, with the original scheme.

8. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

I think they're ok the way they were. If we change everything, it'll end up beeing the same thing. "The more they change, the more they stay the same". Bringing an old unit in a new surrounding should be enough of a change to make something new. Carriers should remain as they were, just like Siege-tanks. They will already have a diferent role, now that Warp Rays will get the long range bombardment. Carrier is a too original unit, and changing it would over do it.

9. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space

Yeah maybe your right Eye_Carumba but even the iconic units that are pretty close to there orginal starcraft unit got something new to keep them fresh like the zealots charge the marines shield and bayonet and the siege tanks stellar new look and what appears some stat increases to make them stronger and fewer in number.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  10. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

I heard Tempest had an anti-ground special shield, similar to the Immortal shield. Perhaps this would suffice, as it would already make it too hard for Hydralisks to kill it.

11. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

i liked the name tempest...

what the carrier needs is a large AOE attack, like battlecrusiers got plasma torpedo. i suggest the kamikaze swarm, where a carrier commands it's interceptors to crash into enemies in a blast of dark templar energy (like what tassadar did in SC)

12. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space

@hillz I dont think the carrier should get an ability similar/the same as what the battlecruiser already has.

Blizzard should give it something new to make it interesting i sugested the choice idea because it be a nice new idea without overpowering the carrier and making it more used by less expierenced players than it already is.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  13. Ych

Ych New Member

I agree that Carriers should have some upgrades to it. As we know, in SC2, BattleCruisers recieved tons of upgrades. The introduction to the Plasma Torpedo, and the continuous laser (yea, it's only graphic change), Blizzard basically made the BattleCruiser a more feared unit in the game. Not to mention, they still have their trustworthy Yamato Cannon back. It only makes sense that the Carriers get some sort of upgrade to compensate it because as of now, Carriers are the exact same unit from SC1. I will give out some of my ideas that I think would be a suitable upgrade for the Carriers.

1. Carriers have the ability to replenish their HP. This of course requires mana and all the Carriers start off with a set of mana. They start off with 50 mana and can gain up to 250 mana. For every mana they lose, they will replenish HP. The rate of regen is 1 HP per sec so that it won't be abusive during battle. It would work more like that you pull your Carriers back when damaged and heal up.

2. Based on LordKerwyn idea of different types of interceptors. My idea is that they can build between 2 different types of interceptors. Hey, if the BattleCruiser can upgrade between 2 super weapons, why not let the Carriers have the ability to build 2 different interceptors right? 1 of their interceptor acts like your normal interceptor from SC1. The other one has the ability to deal splash damage but can only attack ground units. So you would build your interceptors accordling to the situation just like how the BattleCruisers upgrade their 2 superweapons accordling.

14. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Me thinks that this good idea. Like in the start, a carrier can carry 4 ground attacking interceptor, then you can build a different kind of interceptors that attacks air only. So the max interceptors you can have are 4 air and 4 ground. More or less ballanced?

15. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space

Nice idea so far i just tried to get the ball rolling because i love the carrier to much for it to stay exactley the same (that may sound a little wierd but everyone has a favorite unit and i liked the carrier before learning how useful it could be) although i think the carrier's new ability (if it actualy gets one) should be more defensive based since the battlecruiser went the offensive hot about maybe the choice between a semi hardened air shield or a semi hardened ground shield?

16. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

heres my ideas:

1. mabey they should have a suicide bombing technique like tassadar's did

2.similer to other ideas how about you can choose between the tempest shruikens melee which are more effective vrs fleshy units/structures (zerg), or you can have the original intercepters, which would be more effective vrs mechanical units/structures and is ranged so you can pick the type and how many

3. carriers were one of the slowest units, what if we give them mana so they can use it to gain a tempary speed boost? like not the attack speed get increased but movement, it would be like oh they are way over there... OMG they are right on top of us!

well thats all i can think of

17. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

then the interceptors would directly mirror the battle cruisers, which blizzard wanted to avoid

bloody hell, that's exactly what i said

18. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

I liked the idea of temporary speed boosts. They would remain slow, but could go right into action or flee inside your base when pursued with unparalleled speed. This speed boost could have a cooldown, and would suit well a capitol ship to have a movement speed temporary boost to reach the area of battle.

19. paragon

paragon Guest

i dont like the carrier purely because it reminds me of this
    [img width=670 height=502]http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/movie/andromeda/andromeda_1.jpg[/img]
    and that is a horrible horrible show

20. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I'd say it's more Tempest looking though.

I reference all of what we've said in your Predator Rip Off thread.