Capture The Flags 2

Discussion in 'Maps and Replays' started by EatMeReturns, Oct 30, 2009.

Capture The Flags 2

Discussion in 'Maps and Replays' started by EatMeReturns, Oct 30, 2009.

1. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Well, I decided it's high time I start flexing my map-making muscle which no doubt is way beyond the stage of atrophy by now. Here's the link to the first Capture The Flags thread, which includes the updates that I had failed to post for v1.8 and v1.9.

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?p=83237

Once people remember my ancient claim to not-quite fame, (and hopefully play it a bit so I can say it's completely tested? Please?) I'd like some help brain-storming in this thread for 2. What I want:
    -Bigger.
    -Less people grabbing as much as they can at the start, more strategy and team-play.
    -THE GAME. AHAHAHAHAH! YOU LOST!
    -Slower pace. Those play-testing the first one and getting a feel for the gameplay will notice how obscenely fast you gotta play.
    -A stronger influence from wildlife.
    -More Supply Crates, and random events!!!

Any other ideas?

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I'm not really familiar with map making for Starcraft, but how about making Spider Mines randomly pop up around the flag areas? It would be sweet if such a thing can be done. A bit more risk is usually enough to make people slow down and rethink their actions.

So it would add some nice random variety, and it would solve the problem you're having with the pace of the map.

Or just let some crates explode early in the game, and reduce that after a while into the game. Again not sure if that's possible, but it would give players a choice. Either grab stuff early and risk losing units by being greedy, or grab it later without danger, but risk that other players might have luck and use your patience against you. ^^

Just some random thoughts at 2.34 am.

3. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Hmm... Trap Crates and Trap Flags would be sweet. Good idea. Would also be cool if I allowed the vulture unit to place the mines, but only at flag locations.

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Would be cool if it can be done. Or maybe create an indestructible cannon at each flag location. And if to many units are in it at once, (to defend it) the cannon starts shooting at every unit near it. That should encourage players to confront each other constantly, instead of just waiting it out while gathering crates.

Or am I suggesting impossible stuff now?

*lights flares*
    That should be plenty to lure Imagine to this thread. ^^

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  5. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Aurora gave some solid suggestions that are very much possible. I think you can take cues from other CTF style maps and incorporate some of their ideas into yours. Also I just wanted to add in to the cannons/mines at flags. Instead of having those, why not have random "creeps" placed near them just like in WC3?

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Because we can play Warcraft for that? ;)

How's the map coming along?

7. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Basically, I have this brainstorming thread. And... uh... the editor. So that's two major steps out of the way, right?

Creeps at flag locations could be involved with the wildlife, and by wildlife I mean the Snakemen I had in the first one. Except they would be mobs, not creeps.

Another idea I just had would be to have different game modes that can be chosen at the start of the game:
    FFA, 2 Teams (max 4v4), or 4 Teams (max 2v2v2v2).
    Slow, Medium, or Fast. (Change the timer length.)
    Easy, Normal, or Hard. (Change the strength of the Snakemen and the like.)
    Random Events, Campaign, or Pro. (Basic random spawns/etc, a scripted campaign for events taking place, or no events at all.)