Can't cancel Nydus worm building?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by deth moad ue, May 13, 2010.

Can't cancel Nydus worm building?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by deth moad ue, May 13, 2010.

1. deth moad ue

deth moad ue New Member

Heya! It seems you can't cancel a nydus worm in progress...I tried a couple of days ago (but no dice) to cancel worms both (one in process and one that was queued from the same nydus network hub)...I was reminded of this while looking at the mass queen rush video yesterday.

I had assumed it wouldnt work for me due to shoddy comp performance ( I routinely have to press command keys 2-3 times to get units to do what I want them to...i need a better machine!) and Assumed it was a performance issue, but it seems that Blizz didn't include the option of canceling a nydus worm.

Is this an oversight, or an intentional omission?

I guess due to the nature of a worm, i could see why canceling one in the process of burrowing up might not be feasible (though i still think it should be cancelable), but to not give us the option of canceling a nydus worm queued from a hub that's already building a worm elsewhere is just kinda annoying since it's not even being built yet..

Ideas?

I think that:
    A. You should be able to cancel a nydus worm that's being built
    B. For worms that are in Queue from a specific hub, you should be able to cancel specific ones as the you can cancel a queen if you've got several queued at a hatchery.

2. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    i will go to A

3. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    Sadly the zerg failed to fill their worms with the self destruct gas found in their eggs and structures

I don't think it should be able to be canceled as
    1. It'd be too easy to trick your opponent
    due to
    2. The noise it makes which thus becomes less significant thus should be scrapped
    because
    3. Its designed to be an all or nothing unit (unless its for base defence) so the ability to cancel it destroys the gamble a zerg player takes when they place it and from what i've seen a gamble like this (kinda like a nuke) is the main design goal of it.

I don't know why you would queue nydus worms tbh considering the cost and if you need more than one its not hard to place it when the other one is done.

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I think it's intentional, as it could be abused if you were able to cancel it.

Besides, the noise alone when it pops out is terrifying if you aren't the worm's owner. It scares me more than the "Nuclear Launch Detected" warning does since at least I can try and dodge that, but cant really dodge a massive zerg force inside my base.

5. deth moad ue

deth moad ue New Member

Okay..i think my explanation of queuing a worm isnt clear enough...once you've told the nydus hub to summon a worm on a spot, the worm starts to burrow up. At this point, the hub is busy until the worm completes or is destroyed before it completes. You can tell the hub to build in other spots, and they will summon one at a time in the order you selected the spots, a new one starting as the last one completes -- that's the queuing I'm talking about..

@ Marinefreak -- valid point, but I (and I assume lots of people) usually use 2-3 nydus worms at a time anyway...only being able to load and release 1 unit at a time, I find it takes too long to move my army around....so that'd really only effect a single nydus operation

There's not much of a gamble here, though. If the worm gets destroyed but the hub is still active, you can just build another worm. The only way to kill the units inside is to take out ALL worms and nydus hubs. a tough feat.

Your mention of trickery gives me an idea though...a decoy nydus canal in someones base while popping another elsewhere.....

@ Eonmaster -- that sound is awesome (but i'm a zerg kinda guy) -- i sometimes watch the blizz provided zerg play vid just to see/hear the nydus worm pop out...my computer is stuck at low settings and isnt nearly as cool.

6. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I also think the sound is awesome.

But it becomes a nasty mind game when I'm starting to push out for an attack and suddenly I hear: *BRUUSHH RRRWWWAAAAAAARR!* and have to figure out just where that worm spawned.

7. Gforce

Gforce New Member

sensor towers, i know where its going to come up and the tanks will be ready.