Can I run it?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by canirunit?, Apr 4, 2010.

Can I run it?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by canirunit?, Apr 4, 2010.

1. canirunit?

canirunit? New Member

Can i run SC 2 with :

Operating system:Windows 2.6.0.6002 (SP 2)
    CPU type:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9550 @ 2.66GHz
    CPU Speed (GHz):2.687
    System memory (GB):2.954
    Graphics card model:Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Graphics card driver:igdumdx32.dll
    Desktop resolution:1280x800
    Hard disk size (GB):230.372
    Hard disk free space (GB):170.213

... yeah its a laptop

so can i run it?

2. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Doesn't sound too good to be honest.

3. canirunit?

canirunit? New Member

That is what I was afriad of, it is tablet computer less than a year old, I had to get it for school. $2500 and I might not even be able to run SC2 I feel ripped off.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Why did you get a tablet with an integrated graphic chip? They usually rock an Nvidia or ATI from my research.

5. canirunit?

canirunit? New Member

Required computer by Virginia Tech, I guess I will only be able to play when I'm home, better come out early summer so I can get a few months in

6. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Hrm you miiiight on lowest graphics.

7. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    your other specs are good but the graphics card must me nvidia class if i where you

8. canirunit?

canirunit? New Member

I would be happy to run it on anything, this is just my laptop that I will have with me at school, when I am at home I have a desktop that wll be able to run it on at least high. We will sonce the game comes out I guess.

9. L3ttuc3

L3ttuc3 New Member

I would bet you can run it on your laptop. I'm really impressed with the way the game scales down. It will run lowest settings on my laptop, with an nvidia GPU and shared vid memory. My mini even meets the minimum requirements, I just haven't tried to play on it.

10. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Agreed.. SC2 isn't something that requires a monster to run.
    The performance of this game is wonderful.
    Try running CnC3 and you'll run into problems.

11. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    we didn't say that SC2 won`t run on that kind of G card in my part if you want to play it at the best gaming experience you should have a good G card, and pardon me for what i say earlier SC2 might run on you laptop T_T

12. canirunit?

canirunit? New Member

Thank you everyone for the help

13. asdf

asdf New Member

given your resolution, i'd recommend a radeon 5670. cheap, probably won't require a PSU upgrade, and should be more than enough for the job even on ultra high settings. stick it in and start gaming.

edit: never mind, didn't notice it was a laptop.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. zaner123

zaner123 New Member

Washington, USA
    Just for reference, I've got a 5 year old P.C. with a 3.0 GHZ P4 HT, 2 gigs ram (400 mhz crap), and a Nvidia Geforce 5959 FX Ultra video card (AGP, OLD!).

And I can play the game.. on the lowest settings.. with only minor lag every once in a while.

I think for me, the processor is what's limiting smoother gameplay.

15. 0311

0311 New Member

It has nothing to do with your processor, most games even by today's standard can run at medium to high with a 3.0 GHZ processor, it all depends on the GFX card and the ram required for it.

Many people will tell you it is unwise to buy a high-end card with a low end processor, this is not correct, it depends on how the software has been optimised to run the hardware. Example: Some games have a specific AA or light effect that requires the CPU to run harder at a faster rate than your card, this alone will push the recommended req way above your system, but if you purchase the game and turn two or three key settings off, you'll realise you can actually run the game well.

Other games however have not been optimised as well and some may not even run.

I would recommend you buy any Nvidia card that is at least a series 8 or higher, they are actually very cheap if you know where to look, I got my 9800 GTX for about $270 AUD and that was a year ago, so you do the math.

NOTE: Because you are using an AGP card you will require a new motherboard with a PCI slot because AGP cards were phased out years ago. This may also mean you will require new ram, depending on the make of the motherboard, try purchase a motherboard that supports duo multi core CPU's, you can still run your current 3.0 cpu on it, and if you decide to upgrade, you can just remove and install the new CPU later.

Make sure you keep your computer clean from dust to maintain low temp when running your games as well.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  16. DeckardLee

DeckardLee Guest

Your processor is more than enough for StarCraft 2 as my old Athlon 3000 ran the game fine at medium because it had a 7800GS.

17. ZealotInATuxedo

ZealotInATuxedo New Member

A 3.0 GhZ P4 will actually bottleneck a powerful card; it doesn't ALL depend on your GFX card. For example, my first rig with a P4 3.1 Ghz and a 8800GT 512MB struggles to play Bioshock 1 on Medium at 1680x1050. And that title was released almost 3 years ago.

And while I agree that optimisation is a factor, it IS unwise to power a good GFX card with a subpar processor: you will ineluctably run into titles that will be unplayable because of your low-end 3.0Ghz P4.

Now, I do agree that a high-end CPU is not a requisite, but please don't encourage others to couple obsolete CPUs with new GFX cards.

As for the OP: I think you'll be able to play SC2 on minimum, so you should be able to play at college. But it would be best for your future family if it can't.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Isn't the Intel Integrated Graphics Series 4 chip the MHD4500? If so, it supposedly runs SC2 at the lowest setting at 12-15 FPS.

Just an FYI.

BTW moved this to Computers and Technology. But it's still a duplicated thread so I'm closing it. Do a friggin search! And read the forum rules. ;)

19. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    you ll be able to run it, but you wont enjoy i. how do i know? because i have the exact same crap unfortunately lol