Building's directions

Discussion in 'Terran' started by L89, Jul 14, 2007.

Building's directions

Discussion in 'Terran' started by L89, Jul 14, 2007.

1. L89

L89 New Member

Hi, this is my first post here. (Btw this is an excellent site - since I have limited time, this is the only starcraft2 site besides the official one that I visit :powerup:)

Anyway, has anyone else thought of the idea that we as players should be able to decide which side of the building is facing which way. This will have no gameplay meaning for square buildings. But for buildings which are not (eg engineering bay in the original sc), having this ability allows blocking choke points much faster.

Good idea? bad idea?

Btw: this can be applicable to toss and zerg buildings too but STFthem (lol jk) I'm exclusively terran!

2. darktemplar56

darktemplar56 New Member

That's a good idea. I know Company of Heroes already does that, and it works quite well. The only problem (if you would call it a problem) is that everything in Starcraft 1 is already geared towards facing every direction for gameplay purposes (so all buildings can do the same thing no matter what way they're facing, like a turret shooting or a unit being created). Unless a lot of new and oddly-shaped buildings are added for Starcraft 2, there won't be much use of the direction they're facing, and Starcraft 2 will likely have a three-dimensional camera anyway so you can see all of the sides of your buildings.

3. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    Hmm I would say that might complicate things a bit if you have to pick which way the build faces. Maybe in the mapmaker that might work, but in multiplayer on-line games I highly doubt anyone would care which way their buildings are facing.

4. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Why would choosing buildings direction be complicated? And being able to choose the position would help make effcient use of your space and have production facilities face toward the battle.

5. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    yea its not really complicated... its just a matter of rotation

i think it's a good idea because we know what direction the unit is coming out when it is produced. Like sometimes when I build something it gets stuck in between buildings.

6. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

The only problem is the grid system for the buildings..

7. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

does it really matter? since its 3d

8. DontHate

DontHate New Member

Yea i dont think this idea will have much of an impact on gameplay.

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    For those who didn't fully understand why L89 brought this up, let me elaborate.  Because I think it's a good point, and even more valid now that SC2 is fully 3D.  It is now only a matter of rotating the building model.

All of SC's building placement is grid based, even in SC2.  Changing building facing direction would effect their placement on said grid system.  Meaning, a building that's originally 3x2 could be rotated to make it 2x3.

This could aid in building barricades near choke points, as well as just general strategic building placement.  Think Tetris and you'll get the idea, although obviously we're not given any challenging shapes for buildings.

And if you take into account that this might also effect position of Terran building addons, it has an even greater impact.  It has also been pointed out that this effects which side of a building a newly produced unit comes out from.  I've sometimes seen dragoons stuck behind gateways, think could help to avoid that stupidity.

But in all honesty, I don't think it will happen with SC2.  Perhaps SC3, but at least for now, I somehow doubt Blizz will have the balls for that.

And welcome to the forums L89.

10. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

it would be nice, but we probably wont see it

11. L89

L89 New Member

Thanks Remy, you summed up nicely what I had in mind :)

12. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    No Problem L89.

I thought your original post was enough, but apparently some folks could use a little extra explaining.

Anyway, I like the idea.  I think it'd be nice if Blizz would have the balls to at least throw it in there for a test drive, just to see how it works out and the response of the SC community.