buggy cliffs

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by alan2here, Aug 6, 2010.

buggy cliffs

1. alan2here

alan2here New Member

I have created a map in the editor, it has lots of cliffs and there are quite a few week points that allow units (not units that are alloud to) to leap up and down them. What can I do?

2. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    That's quite interesting! It obviously indicates a problem with the pathfinding, or perhaps your cliffs have some geometric anomaly somewhere that is the source of these problems?

It is possible to test the stability of the pathfinding. Suppose you open a nydus worm on a small patch of raised ground, and push through hundreds of zerglings ~ far more that could normally fit on that platform.

The units never leap down, but they are very agitated to be squashed into each others collision radius.

So I'm wondering now what would happen if another platform was built close by. Would the agitated zerglings leap from one to the other because they're at the same height?

Or what if there is a ramp up to that first platform that is blocked with a building. Would the agitated zerglings jump down then, because there would be a path down were it not for the building.

3. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    You can fix the pathfinding by placing pathing blockers, which I think are doodads, along the edges of your cliffs and ramps.

4. alan2here

alan2here New Member

Thanks. Thats going to take an incredibly long time on my map though and use hundreds, if not thousands of them. Presumably diagonals need to be used on diagonals and they must be lined up correctly. I can't place them directly so need to turn off placement requirements, which makes them hard to line up as well and dosn't transfer properly with copy+paste.

5. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    There is definitely an easier way to do this. Perhaps there is a pathing module?

EDIT: Found it. Go to the terrain module. Along the top, the teal buttons:
    Terrain - Units - Doodads - Points - Regions - Cameras - *PATHING!!!*

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. alan2here

alan2here New Member

Fixed the pathfinding problems as well as the building ones without having to make pathing free zones.