Bring Back the Starbase?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Jan 7, 2008.

?

Would you like the Star Base to come back?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Bring Back the Starbase?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  2. Rex

Rex New Member

Re: Star Base

Looks like a mix of Gundam wing ship, with a SC Supply Depot :D

3. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova

I think it should be brought back, but with limitations. The reason it was removed was because it was seen as too powerful since it could produce units on the move. To counter this, I think that while it is moving, it takes longer for it to produce.

It fits since in real life, making a machine on a moving structure would logically be harder to make. Also, because of this, the units would take longer to make, resulting in a longer build time.

This is still benefitial because it could still produce while keeping up with the main army while on the move. Also, when it stops, its build speed would resume to normal, making it a good support structure for attacking armies.

4. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

The problem was that it was unneeded. Why invest in the upgrade if you could just fly the port normaly and land it when you wanted to build? And what to do about the Tech lab?

It might have stayed if the Starport wasn´t able to fly originally, but good luck taking THAT out.

That doesn´t mean that I don´t like it, the opposite in fact. But I can understand why it isn´t in. Maybe in the campaign.

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden

Same goes for the regular port. It would also be without the tech lab, so using the base would only be beneficial, as it can build on the move. It also had the the nano repair ability, I think.

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona

I liked the star base since it could support forces and get units into battle more quickly though I think it would be more benificial if it were a factory of barracks that could build on the move since ground units are slower.

The air units that can be built in the timeframe of a single battle are fast enough that they can reach the battle from your base in a short ammount of time anyway

7. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

it would be fun if you could put a couple of vikings in the base, making it act like a bunker, and maybe also a banshee

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

@BoP

I was gonna say the same thing. Air units fly over all obsticals and cover more ground than ground units therefore whats the point of producing them while moving. Wouldnt it be a lot more benificial to have a Factory which can build on the move. That way Terran would get a whole new aspect of bringing the fight to the enemy literally, you know with the building of the Thor, Drop pods, flying buildings etc.

9. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

its somewhat pointless imo, it flies and the units it produces fly as well..

it seems like just "something to make terrans different" not something they actually need.

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL

I agree with Kutrovsky, it's stupid for it to produce highly mobile units and yet be mobile itself....

Floating barracks/factory capable of moving production? More like it...

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden

Floating Barracks and Factories creating ground units sounds a little stupid. They should have treads and roll over the ground instead.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

Whether it flys or not producing air units while moving just doesnt cut it. Barracks or Factory and they should bring it back.

13. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto

Do the Marines and Siege Tanks just fall from the buildings and hope they don't get hurt?

14. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I think a mobile factory or barracks is actually a good idea, it moves on the battlefield and produces right there and then, but it can still bail if things go bad, maybe it can even shoot?

But yeah, flight barracks/factories sounds complicated, mobile on the ground, producing WHILE moving thats a whole different ball game.

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

didnt the starbase attack as well?

16. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I voted that the Star Base should return.

It was a unique new mechanic that lore-wise made a lot of sense for the Terrans to have. I know that a moving building producing air units does not seem useful, but the fact that it is a flying building that cannot land is strategically different, and awesome. I think instead of removing the Star Base, Blizzard should have built upon the idea. It would be cool (and valuable game-wise) if some abilities were added to the building, most notably repair. The repair ability of the Nomad (nano-repair) should definitely be on the Star Base instead. This would make the moving building sort of a home base and mobile hub for Terran air units, which I believe would lead to many new strategies, on top of a mechanic completely new to Starcraft.

17. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Or it could have a repair bay which might be nice

18. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

a flying production thing doesnt sound right. Its possible that the terrans could focus on mobility rather than productivity and the building maybe offers the ability transport vehicles on to the battlefield through drop pods.

19. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand

it could be an upgrade for the star port to create units on the fly if the toss are getting warp whatever upgrade.

20. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

but theres no practicle use for that. I think drop pods make the most sense. btw gj overmind with the sc:ghost thing. Man i wish that was released.