Blizzards 5th Project - Confirmed

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by MeisterX, Mar 27, 2009.

Blizzards 5th Project - Confirmed

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by MeisterX, Mar 27, 2009.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    [​IMG]

We'd like to make sure all SC2F regulars are aware of our opportunity to participate in a special Q&A session frow which we need to submit 15 questions for next week. Please participate and make sure you read our thread to find out what questions you can and can't ask, and what questions have already been submitted. You can participate here.

Also, according to an article by DIII.net citing Blizzard Chief Operating Officer Paul Sams, Blizzard has confirmed their fifth project which, according to the article, is not a new World of WarCraft expansion or anything related to Blizzard's other MMO title currently under development. Beyond these details, things become more murky. However, a number of Blizzard positions have opened up regarding the title.

Source: DIII.net

Discuss this article in the Forum!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    Cool!

Q1
    What kind of game is it? (RPG, etc.)

Q2
    Will it have any relation to the original WarCraft, StarCraft or Diablo series?

Q3
    When is the expected release date?

Q4
    How long has this project been ongoing?

Q5
    What is the audience this project is targeted to?

Q6
    Will this be a single-player, multi-player, or MMO experience?

BTW, FIRST POST!

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Arven, the first bit refers to the Q&A thread started by Ych which is SC2 related. Jon just failed to make the link :p

As for the thread, I don't see how this is news. It was confirmed very long ago that they're working on a new and genuine title that has nothing to do with previous ones.

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Kuvasz, it is not:

We didn't know about this one.

5. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

actually we did

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    It was, check the link jon edited in. Anyway, the fact that they were making something new was indeed not very new. However, they gave it some new attention by letting a big blizzard guy mention it. Maybe this means that they are making good progress and are getting started to release bits of information about this new game.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'd really appreciate it if you guys would digg and bookmark more articles! *****s. :p

[ot]I'm going to work on the shop sometime tonight[/ot]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    The tag's
    HTML:
    [ot]
    nub.

9. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Bookmark them? -And do you need some account or something to digg stuff?-

10. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    ...Another?

Best be Ghost. Hint hint Blizzard talking with some folks about the next Xbox.

11. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    Darn, I want Ghost for PC.

Eh we can always hope right?

12. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    If Blizzard does finish it, I think a PC port would be inevitable in the long run.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    So, at the moment, there's StarCraft2, WarCraft3, the unannounced MMO which will be a new franchise, this unannounced project, and I'm assuming the last is simply World of WarCraft?

Seeing as they didn't say it's a brand new franchise, which they were pretty quick to say for their unannounced MMO, its obviously either StarCraft, WarCraft or Diablo. StarCraft2 and Diablo3 are being worked on right now, so if it is either of them, it would have to be a completely different genre, the possibilities most likely being a StarCraft FPS and Diablo MMO. World of WarCraft's also being worked on right now, so if its in the WarCraft franchise is would have to either be WarCraftIV or World of WarCraft II.

So that's a StarCraft FPS, a Diablo MMO, WarCraftIV or World of WarCraft II.

Seeing as their unannounced MMO is supposedly the next-gen MMO, I wouldn't see the logic behind creating another MMO to be in competition with it, as one is going to overshadow the other, which knocks out the Diablo MMO and World of WarCraft II.

So that's a StarCraft FPS and WarCraftIV.

As for the StarCraft FPS, I think they'd be crazy to try and go ahead with StarCraft: Ghost. It does have the advantage of everyone knowing about it, but the fact still remains that it's simply known as a failure. Taking into account Blizzard's recent merger with Activision, it seems likely that they'd be able to call on a lot of Activision's expertise in the field.

As for WarCraftIV, it would need to be a completely parallel or divergent path from the other WarCraft games. It would be near impossible to successfully continue from where Frozen Throne finished, due to the devastation of World of WarCraft's expansions to the storyline. It would also seem impossible to successfully continue from where Wrath of the Lich King will finish, as there would only be a few scraggly remains to toy with, and the rest would have to merge with what had already taken place.

So in the end, it remains as a StarCraft FPS or WarCraftIV in my books.

14. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    I'm trying to cross my already crossed fingers for a Starcraft shooter. Third or First.

The multiplayer for it would be so sick.

15. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Yes, please be ghost. :D

16. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

i guess im one of the say no to fps players out there...

a cross game perhaps?? since the worldstone was shattered, did it somehow open a rift in another dimension.... hmmm rpg hopefully...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    @ItzaHexGor
    And that's why I hate world of warcraft, and especially wrath of the lich king. In my opinion, and of many others, the story at the end of frozen throne was unfinished. Everyone had been waiting for it to get a sequel, then they come with wotlk and destroy the storyline. I think they should just ignore the world of warcraft storyline and just make warcraft 4 as if wow never existed.

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    World of WarCraft was originally a completely stand-alone game, with next to no impact on the overall storyline. It was how it was developed from there that ruined the storyline, with the expansions, patches, etc, etc. The main problem with this development was that characters didn't behave as they would in an RTS campaign. Aside from there being no central characters, instead of all the pre-existing characters travelling, fighting, attacking, defending, planning, discovering and preparing, they're just waiting in their thrones, waiting for the next patch to come out so they can be killed.

But overall, what happened in World of WarCraft can't simply be ignored. Regardless of how much it messes with progression and should not have happened, it has. In my opinion, the difference between the plots of WarCraftIV and WarCraftIII should be as drastic and separated as WarCraftIII was from WarCraftII, and if not, even more so. Basically, completely new storyline, completely new characters, completely new everything. Perhaps it could take place decades after the events of World of WarCraft, after the times of war have passed, and now, a threat is emerging again. Sounds like a decent enough premise to me, and it's open to almost anything. As many races as they want could be included because they've established their own civilisation over the years, whatever alliances they want between the races could be determined, and the threat could be something new or something recurring, like the Scourge rising once again. Most importantly, they can forget almost everything that happened during WarCraftIII and World of WarCraft.

19. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    That is actually quite a good solution, but when wow was released I already suspected that some influence in the story would be inevitbe. When they would start adding more content.

As for decades later, I do not know what happened to the burning legion commander who instructed illidan to destroy the frozen throne, since I do not play wow. If nothing happened to him yet, then I doubt he would wait decades before assaulting the frozen throne himself. And he might also attack the new orc settlement. It would be quite a challenge for storywriters to work around this in the warcraft 4 storyline, since that legion commander will eventually also try to destroy the world tree. Also, iirc, the night elves gave up their immortallity in order to wipe out the part of the legion that attacked first, so that would also be an interesting storyline. One last thing, the NE gave up being immortal, how would this affect the naga? They were once part of the NE too.

20. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    @Itza: Starcraft FPS : Amen to that.

But I doubt that Blizzard will go on that field. Unless they take the Left4Dead game and change survivors for Marines and Ghost, change Infected for Zergling, tank for Ultra lol. The best way would be going Battlefield style I guess or AVP2 but THAT would be redundant.

That venue seems to be almost to odd for blizzard. I can see a RPG Starcraft before that, since Blizzard has a history with this game style, but it would be overcrossing Diablo3.

So there is one thing remaining. Rock and Roll Starcraft Racing..... Awesome!

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/2/25509-104214-gfs4036611midjpg-468x.jpg

Guitar/axe, the only way to rock!