BLINK IDEA

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by headstock, Nov 17, 2007.

BLINK IDEA

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by headstock, Nov 17, 2007.

1. headstock

headstock New Member

Aye everyone :)

this is no massive idea, but i thought i could lead to interesting discussion/strategies...

This blink ability by the stalker..

I thought it would be kewl, if when the stalker blinks, it shows its position for that brief moment on the mini map.

this could provide interesting elements to the stalker, giving insight for the enemy of their position, and also allowing users to be able to 'bluff' positions on the map by blinking stalkers in dud positions to trick the enemy, or to make false offensives ya know, all that stuff.

Also, if the enemy was expecting a blink on the mini map to show when blink is used, you could make kewl ambushes by makin the effort to transport stalkers to high ground to like, double bluff kinda thing

just a minor change, doesnt seem too inbalanced to me, could lead to some interesting play?

maybe?

2. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I think that revealing it's position to the enemy is everything Stalker should do...NOT.

3. headstock

headstock New Member

well... thanks for your insightful post Meee.... dont excuse my sarcasm, it was intended.

so... anyone with a real opinion?

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

erm, what about the im a dark templar so everyone can see me part

5. headstock

headstock New Member

i dont follow..... sorry say it again?

6. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

the stalker is a dark templar design, the dark templar evaded the high protoss for a 1000 years that was not by showing themselves with every blink they use

7. headstock

headstock New Member

ahh, well your talkin lore and technicality, not practicality.

there are ways this could easily be worked into the lore.

anyone have any opinions about the actual use of this? the actual idea?

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I can see how this could be a nice idea....But the Blink is pretty much instant with a cooldown, so I'm not sure how you could use it that way. If you slow down the Blink, then it's only good for moving up and down cliffs. If you take away the cooldown, that's imba. Maybe if they had a sorta projection spell like hallucination for the minimap, it could work.

9. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

it sure would be a nice trick, but i dont see protoss do it, they are the strong race, the terran are the tricky ones, it would be nice if they had something like this, maybe when the viking transforms

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Eh, I kinda disagree with that. Yeah, the Terran are tricky, but it's only the High Templar that fight fair, not the Dark Templar. They seem like the kind guys who, while still having honor, gain honor by defeating their foe, period

11. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i meant that the protoss lost much of their in-game power, and they cant be weakened any more,

12. headstock

headstock New Member

why would the cool down rate matter though? the instant you used it, it would show up on the mini map as just a split second flick of light

i know protoss are strong, but they still use tricks, they're the ones who had hallucination mate, you could easily turn that idea down sayin it showed weakness, but they used it didnt they

and this wouldnt 'weaken' the protoss

it would all depend on circumstance, but largley depend on the players involved.

you could blink to try and trick the enemy into thinking your attacking from one position when your really attacking from another.

you could give away your position if you wanted to act more defensively.

the way you controlled your stalkers would largely determine whether or not this was a strength or a weakness

13. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    How would that work? As far as I know there's no way to show anything on the minimap to your enemy, so if you use that skill the only thing your enemy learns is that you have stalkers, personally I wouldn't care about something on the minimap if I know that enemy sent it to trick me in one way or another.
    It's something that should either work all the time for certain unit/conditions (like stalkers blinking) or not at all.
    Only exception would be in sensor towers range, but there's no point in making ability solely for that purpose if you can just send probe.
    I agree with Ijiff that lore-wise this ability wouldn't make sense for stalkers and I don't see how it could be worked into lore. Well one way. Lore wise they could be giving false signals to enemy when THEY see fit, but game-wise it would work for every blink. I still think it's not Stalker - like though

14. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

If the Stalker notified your enemies of it's current position at any given time during it's blink, that would kind of nullify it's name. At any rate, I believe the Stalker should not be pinging the map because for one thing, you could be using Stalkers just to get to a higher platform where you have just recently established a new expansion.

Definitely would not want your enemies knowing about that. Not one bit.

15. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I don't like the idea of Stalker revealing himself. I think it's not useful.

16. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

In concept not a bad idea. However strategically it would just end up being flawed. This is one of the better and less crazy ideas though. How it would be flawed is that its just that if you wanted to use the Stalker as a base raider or mineral resource killer you couldn't. You would have to go into another branch just to do what the Stalker was originally intended for.

Btw the fault of the Stalker is that it isn't that strong but it has a blink to make up for it. What I mean is if you had to transport your units to perform this type of raid, why transport a weakling like the Stalker and not transport the Colosus?

This update would most likely make the Stalker useless. People would realize that if the Stalker was blinking it would either be a ploy or a bad player, making the Stalker non-existent in high-end play.

17. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    The name Stalker...doenst fit that little tid bit.
    On the Terran thread, however, someone suggested that the Battlecruisers have an ability to 'blink/warp' across the map. Now that would be a case for a mini-map ping.

18. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

honestly this is not usefull for the staker dude, what kind of stalk would he do when everybody knows where he is at all times, i dont see any good strategy coming from this, sorry, but its my opinion, i like the ambush thing, but not at the expense of using blink for it, not everytime!

19. headstock

headstock New Member

ok new idea.

what if all detector units, were given an ability, where they 'could' if the player wanted to, signal a ping on the mini map at that unit/buildings location

this would be done for the same tactics, to try draw an attacker when your playing defensive, or to suggest a false offensive front, or to double bluff, various means to throw the opponent off

20. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    The problem with 'could' part is that you use it ONLY to deceive your opponent this way or another. Personally the most I'd do if I saw such ping would be scouting the area and then act based on what I see. What does my enemy get from it? If he had something there now I know about it too (even if it's heavy defense I loose one scout at most) and if not I just sent one scout away for a while, not much of a loss, since I should have more of them and I could've been thinking of scouting it anyway.

Only two uses come to my mind and that's 1. showing enemy a small part of your forces at one spot while attacking from other side or making expansion somewhere else. (Good player should be prepared for those imo) and 2. ping-spamming the map just to annoy your enemy ;D