Big Protoss army killing my big Terrain army

Discussion in 'Terran' started by tankor, Oct 5, 2010.

Big Protoss army killing my big Terrain army

Discussion in 'Terran' started by tankor, Oct 5, 2010.

1. tankor

tankor New Member

I have this happen twice in the last few games.

I have a near cap Terrain army vs a near cap Protoss army.
    I have MMM both times, one time I have Thor's with them,, the other I have vikings & siege tanks

I'm in control & outplaying my opp both games, but he makes a desperation push & just crushes
    my army. The last time his army was stalkers, Colossis, and those tank killer thingies that do 50 damage to armor (hardened shell guys)

I sent my vikings after the colissis and just engaged the rest of his army, and my tanks were seiged. I thought I micro'd okay, not perfect, but not terrible either. I just got so crushed in the exchange. My opponent only attacked because I cut off all his resources & he had no choice, aside from that he wasn't attacking for a long time cause he know I had a bigger army.
    It doesn't seem fair as not only does the protoss army seem more powerful, its also more mobile & stalkers can blink and colossis can climb up & down cliffs. He doesn't even have to micro his army really, just make a big ball, while I have to make sure my tanks are seiged up when we ingage. Granted I could have got ghost & EMP, that would have helped, but its not like he had storm.

Anyone else finding their big terrain army getting crushed by a big protoss army. Same battle but with a small army I do good as my healers seem to play a bigger role.

Do I need more healers, how many healers should you have per # of mauraders or marines.

2. JimReynolds

JimReynolds New Member

UK
    Definatly taking plenty of vikings and medivacs with you will help, you can also take a couple of ghosts with you if you are talking about end game with big armies, using nukes as a distraction will keep them off guard and help you take down the colossus, remember to also take a raven and use point defense drones, they will protect your vikings when they take down the colossus. That is the key as colossus will rip through your marines and marauders easily. Good Luck!

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Thank god he didn't have psi storm. Can you post a replay?

4. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    if protoss leads up with immortals, you really need to get your siege tanks to ignore them and target the softer units first. Otherwise you are losing up to (or, with upgrades even more than) 40 damage per shot (not including splash) since the hardened shell guys can't take more than 10 damage.

Also, you only need a few vikings, just enough to keep the coloxen at bay. Other than that, invest in a few more medivacs since they make a big difference in those battles, especially if they disengage since this is the only way you can get back to full health quickly enough to push back (protoss can rebuild an army very quickly, so often times hitting them quickly while they are hurt is dangerous without healing since they will automatically have more units the second time around)

If you aren't in the mood for a ghost, at least grab a raven or something like that. Ravens make stalkers useless with PDD and they can watch for invisible units (DTs aren't that likely but sniping off an observer is great)

So, yeah their maxxed out unit mix with immortals (shell guys) has an edge that you need to micro around in order to have success and the best way to do that is with ghosts or ravens but even small thinks like keeping the tanks on track will work wonders.

5. tankor

tankor New Member

I watched my replay again. I made a big blunder for sure, the unit my medivacs were following died &
    that final battle I missed out on 3 medivacs. Which would have helped. I'm still alittle suprised how bad I
    got slaughtered in the battle.

I thought about it. Given he had alot of immortals & colossis, and a fair # stalkers, maybe I should have gotten battlecruisers. Then half his army wouldn't be able to attack them, and the units that could attack them can only do like 15 damage to a unit with alot of HP, as oppossed to the immortals that crush armour.
    A few battlecruisers would have helped for sure.

Does the battlecruiser's cannon thing 1 short immortals... does it ignore their shells?

6. sc2fan

sc2fan New Member

That replay sounds interesting, mind uploading it here for people to watch?

7. tankor

tankor New Member

okay I'll post it.

I did make a few mistakes in that battle for sure.
    Still didn't expect to get that crushed though

Keep in mind this was just a bronze level game.

Ignore my crying at the end lol

View attachment post.SC2Replay

8. sc2fan

sc2fan New Member

It's cool, I'm Bronze too.

Nice replay, thanks for posting. I thought you did well. I guess the Protoss were so strong at the end because they had max upgrades for everything.

9. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    sure he had max upgrades..... i dont know much about terran vs protoss but when he was on 1 base you shoul've scanned and seen his army on the lowground and then you might take your vikings to land in his base and take out his gateways and robo facility etc.
    he did have a pretty slow reaction time so you might snipe a couple of them ^^ and then leave

though i realy like how you did those drops they were just amazing :D
    but in the end battle his zealots and colossus completely owned your army :C
    oh and another thing is that since your vikings have a range of 9 and stalker 6 and your enemys slow reaction your could snipe his colossus and fly away again :3 i haven't tried it but it looks easy to do

its just kinda saad because many protoss complain that terran is OP and i dont have any problems with protoss either....(when im terran) so yeah........ that kinda sucks xD

10. DCBloodHound

DCBloodHound New Member

Try including a bunch of battlecruisers in your army,they do air and ground damage plus they are really strong (not many toss units have air attacks).if i can't get past toss players i usually wipe them out with about 15 battlecruisers fully upgraded and i never oven lose one.BTW Battlecruiser own thors.i once played against another terran player who had 15 thors against my 15 battlecruisers.i never lost one and he lost all his thore's.

11. DCBloodHound

DCBloodHound New Member

BTW i also noticed his ATM is a bit higher than yours.the player with the highest ATM usually wins.

12. JimReynolds

JimReynolds New Member

UK
    Yea definatly worth some BC's those things are tough and they burn through buildings in no time as well, if you get the Yamato cannon and upgrade and he sends in 30 stalkers to deal with your 10 BC's you can blast down 10 of them instantly by pressing y and aiming on individual stalkers, it is very difficult to counter!

13. tankor

tankor New Member

thats definately not the case with me.
    I almost always have a lower ATM & have been winning maybe 80% of those games.
    Maybe I'm better organized.. I dunno
    It surprizes me, sometimes I see a guy with double the ATM as me but I won the game.
    I wonder what the heck these guys are doing.
    Maybe their doing alot of pointless actions.

If I just keep clicking a marine around the map in circles is that ATM

I think you mean APM (actions per minute also)
    ATM is where you get your drug money

14. tankor

tankor New Member

just curious,, did the guy have the Thor ability.
    Does anyone ever use that?
    Does 500 damage, but I don't know if it can attack air, I've never used it

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The entire reason you lost this game was that you didn't have any production buildings and you have well over 5,000 minerals. You need to convert that cash into units. Your army didn't get destroyed, it just didn't win.

You should be constantly building masses and masses of units all the time. You had map control, you had a good unit mix, you had the right counters (except against the zealots) and you could have easily won this game.

@ GC, it's APM (actions per minute) not ATM. That's at a bank.

Anyway, seriously dude, you should have won that game. You just needed more production to be able to rebuild your army more quickly and have units constantly churning out even while you're fighting. You can't just build a 200/200 army, stop everything, and then go win.

Doesn't work that way.

16. Vulcan

Vulcan New Member

Tasmania
    Very sound advice here.

If you find that you're getting an excess of minerals or gas over what you currently need, bump up your construction buildings and keep pumping those units out.

17. zhengwei

zhengwei New Member

I like this game . Nice replay, thanks for posting. I thought you did well. I guess the Protoss were so strong at the end because they had max upgrades for everything.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Australia
    Wow it was some intense stuff. good try thought its a really good replay. keep it up.