Banshee w/ gravity booster engines v.2 (pic).

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Jun 30, 2008.

Banshee w/ gravity booster engines v.2 (pic).

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Jun 30, 2008.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i hate the banshee as it is now (design and role). unexciting and all that. i rather have a new much exciting and interesting unit for the banshee unit slot.

anyway heres my newest idea for the banshee's look. give it gravity booster engines instead.

http://larcenciel-11.deviantart.com/art/gravity-booster-engines-90232843

how cool and badass is that ei. compared to this common scifi chopper(space?).

http://www.starcraft-source.com/images/news/2008/6-28/banshee.jpg

the role can also be change than just cloaking and shooting common passive boring "single missile" on "single target".. like this old idea i made.

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4559

make it shoot electric missiles or something.

ok the gravity booster engine name is just a placeholder.

i dont know what to call it but what matter right now is the way it look.

i really think the banshee is such a waste of unit in terms of unit design. The chopper look with the rotors is just common in sci fi. I expected blizzard to be more innovative and to create something uniquely theirs just like the battlecruiser etc.

sign if your not satisfied with the current banshee or if it is just a so so unit instead of perfectly unique cool badass w/ personality style 100%ok unit like all unit should be.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I like all the energy you're putting into your ideas, I just don't like the idea itself. :p

Those "gravity booster engines" are just screaming "Protoss", don't you think? They look expensive too. Instead of influensing the gravity, why not use economical turbofans?

3. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I agree with GMG

And are you mad? you posted it on the bliz forums too omg.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
  5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Gravity boosters look Protoss. Rotors look Terran.

6. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I see you like to play with hue but... no.

Itza, that's got to be one of the most random avatars I've seen.

7. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Its becasue I said the avatar could be the reason why he´s so angry sometimes, and I said he should change to a smiley, so he did :)

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    You mean why it looks like he's angry sometimes, right? <.<

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    nono, i said why he´s angry.

10. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    did you change the color of the metal to cool grey zeratul? I ask because because most of the screenshots we've seen recently seem to show a warm grey making up units's color schemes, which needs to change back to the cool(er) grey that's been used previously.
    As for your idea - I'd say no because it goes against the lore behind the Banshee completely. However, I could imagine seeing gravity boosters on something like the Nomad.

And lol @ Itza's smiley avatar. It reminds me of anxiety medication. :D

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

thanks.

the banshee's lore could be easily change. They could use improvise gravity booster to move faster, less sound, in space, while the function/role remains the same.

protoss? i disagree, i hear that a lot and i think it is use exaggeratedly. just because its glowing doesn't mean its not terran. i think the terran have the resources and means considering its effective as well maybe even better than rotors. anyway also its just a matter of preference, badassness/ coolness, in choosing between rotors/engines since both are justifiable. well atm rotors wins. d@mn you blizzard for being so close minded in the first place.

hue? yah team colors.

yes i have an account in blizzforums too, and i want to know what people there also think.

yes i kinda change the color i want it to look a little darker not light grey to fit better with the gravity engines glowing effects.

@itza avatar's. thats better, i can't really figure what your previous avatar(i know its a templar etc) was and it look evil like too. xp

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    WTF is wrong with a helicopter that shoots missiles and has a cannon?

These are the Terrans not the protoss.
    They use simple practical technology

13. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    plz ill consider this if you explain to me what about terran is glowy blue ??? look at the protoss, it is all glowy blue

terran
    [​IMG]

Protoss
    [​IMG]

P.S. @Birofprey I love the signature lol (what are you doing... what are you doing dave... i can feel it)

14. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

simple practical technology? why do people think that gravity engines and such is a special tech etc. its not.

whats wrong? i said it. all imo.

read my op. xp

protoss? defense matrix should be protoss. All terran laser should be protoss. vulture should be protoss. fusion cutter should be protoss. steath aircraft shoud be protoss. emp should be protoss. lockdown should be protoss, yamato should be protoss, nano tech should be protoss, etc.

now a functional "glowing" engine can't be terran? wow.

its not like its an alien thing you know and as far as i can tell its a scifi human thing. Utopian or dystopian humans.

have you seen the ship they got in the matrix? they have these eletric glowing engines and yet they still look grittier and darker than the terran and unprotossy.

its not flashy of fancy or protossy. hell its FUNCTIONAL. you can't really do anything about it since its electrical etc... it GLOWS. its not like they purposely designed it that way for aesthetics and visuals. well its just a bonus if it looks fancy or cool.

@jugger

glowy blue? its an electric for lorewise sakes. so do you actually think that if a terran unit have some blue electric on its part will make it look protoss? ok i see green lines in the new siege tank so it look like zerg? omg. i dont know what to say.

gameplay distinction sometimes ruins some great interesting lore. =\

anyway it doesn't really need to glow that much if you still think it look protoss like..

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Man I love it how zeratul11 always proposes ideas and then tells the people who disagree they're wrong.

It does look undeniably Protoss. Everyone thinks they look undeniably Protoss, so why would you want to implement something into one team when absolutely everyone truly believes that it physically looks as though it doesn't belong?

Apart from the look, the lore doesn't fit the Terran either. There's absolutely no reason to completely change Terran lore, so that one of their most visually innovative fighters can look like they actually belong to Protoss, or at least have stolen Protoss technology.

What on Earth has the Matrix got to do with this? It's a completely different concept in a completely different universe and is designed to convey a completely different feel. It has nothing to do with StarCraft. Jedi's in Star Wars have Light Sabres, and they're human, so does that mean the the Terran should have amazingly uber-advanced Light Sabres? Of course not. Other science fiction has absolutely nothing to do with StarCraft lore.

GasMaskGuy summed it up perfectly:
    And so did Juggernaught with his images. Terran are about grease, gears, metal and explosions. Protoss are about psi, energy, plasma and power.

16. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America

the reason people see the gravity engins as not practical and as a special tech is beacuase... it isnot practical and is special tech. how many gravity engines will you see if you walk outside today??? how much gas would it take to spin some simple fans than it would to power up some high tech anti grav engines and their stabilizers

dealing with the glow... the terran siege has a slight green glow. NOT A MAJOR BLUE CIRCLE ON EACH SIDE plus green does not deal with zerg. if the tank was alive and slimy then it would be zerg

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

imo people just exaggerates very much on the terran with regards to gameplay. yes they will never get gravity booster for the purpose of gameplay diversity. but lorewise im sure its not a problem at all.

@itza

"And so did Juggernaught with his images. Terran are about grease, gears, metal and explosions. Protoss are about psi, energy, plasma and power."

human made electricity are not protoss. human made engines are not protoss. terran can obviosly make them both.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Of course it's not a problem lore-wise if you change the lore to suit it, but what would be the point? From what I've gathered about your views on the Banshee, you just don't like it. It's not that there's a flaw in the Terran's lore at the moment, and it's not that they need these adaptations, it's just your personal preference.

When did I mention electricity or engines? Terran are about grease, gears, metal, explosions, etc. They fire rounds, rockets and searing lasers, throw flames and impact grenades, launch missiles and nukes... It's all rough-and-tough, dirty and greasy. Your previous design, with the turbo boosts, although looking quite inefficient, captured this better, it's just that that one didn't suit the Banshee's role. With this, although it now suits the Banshee's role, it doesn't have the same oil-consuming, gear-grinding and crudely lubricated feel of Terran machinery.

Just to give an example of the feel of these sorts of things, and not necessarily relating to what Terran do or should feel like, imagine an old century coal mine, and imagine some of the machines built for it and used in it. You'd imagine that they'd be encrusted with dirt and coal dust, due to the conditions in the mine, with dull light sources dully glowing through thick glass, as a precaution to not ignite the dangerous gases, etc, etc. There's a definite and distinctive feel for it, and it's the same with Terran.

Although their machinery doesn't have the same feel as that of the coal mine, but they still have a definite and distinctive feel. The Thor is the perfect example for this. Just look at the way it's designed and the way it moves. It's classic Terran. You can practically see the raw mechanics at work and the sheer amount of resources required to move it. They don't have access to this 'clean' looking technology. Any gravity boosters that they would have at their disposal definitely wouldn't go along these lines.

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i think your exaggerating way too much with the terran.

you based it on starcraft 1, but i didn't feel them exactly or completely like that. yes the atmosphere and environment sure was dark and gritty but they are not all about that. its just that mostly we are seeing.

but consider some other of these facts.

check out the marines and the dock where they were honoring the death of gustav. the speech of mengks, i dont see much oil and dirt or over the top grittiness on the terran there. tychus armor in the cinematic is shiny and colorful. starcraft ghost movie. starcraft ghost (check out the environment building, etc... looks a little lighter and less oily and greasy to me.

im not saying terran should be clean, no, but im just saying hover engines on banshee can be terran as well. gravity engines on the banshee can be oily darker greasy gritty too if you want it. its just preference and its doesn't mean it can't be terran like what you are saying.

You said the electrical engines on the banshee looks undeniably protoss. undeniably.

and i said human made electricity are not protoss. human made engines are not protoss. terran can obviously make them both. ok it may look protoss but its NOT protoss if you know what i mean. again gameplay visual diversity makes my idea wrong i may agree with that. but if you talk lorewise, i will disagree 100% when you say that it can't be terran.

and electric glowing engines doesn't mean its clean. the zion people in the matrix have it and they sure are dark and dirty.

Where are you basing that the Terran are completely like that? is that your own opinion? Why are you talking like you know everything about the terran?

blizzard shows us what terran is like but they never really go on detail like what things and style the terran can only have like what you are saying.

this is my preference for the terran, they should be somewhere in the middle, not overly gritty, not overly techy, semi stylish, not flashy not dull, have some shine, etc.

how about you?

20. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    *finally has a big bag of popcorn, and sits down waiting for this debate to end.*