Banelings rolling animation

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Feb 23, 2009.

?

Change the animation form rolling to walking or skittering

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    79.5%

Banelings rolling animation

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Ya I know their fatties but I personally think they should just have a walking animation of some kind maybe make it a little bit different in terms of how they walk.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    I prefer Banelings rolling because it makes them seem more like giant balls of explosive goo as opposed to awkward green insectoid creatures which just happen to have the ability to explode.

Imo giant balls of explosive goo rolling towards your army is much cooler

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Who on Earth voted 'No' already?!

But seriously, rolling is completely illogical for them on all scales. They should just walk. Since the first time I saw them I've felt that they should drag themselves along, lumbering, but obviously strong, like an engorged tick, 'cause seriously, that's exactly what they are, minus a couple of pairs of legs.

Perhaps it could sorta throw itself into a roll when covering that very last metre or so, just before it explodes, but other than that, is simply shouldn't.

EDIT: @ marinefreak. They are awkward green insectoid creatures that just happen to have the ability to explode! That's exactly what they are! If anything, that idea should be emphasised, as Zerg simply do not make use of artificial, or even additional, weaponry, Infested Terran excluded as that's merely a parasite. Everything's active, everything's living, everything's a creature. They're not just giant balls of explosive goo.

4. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I meen look at the corruptors and guardians movement animation and how they move, it should be something that's chaotic, insidious, but in sync kind of how a millipede walks or something else entertaining on the eyes.

Compared to the old look their not as fat either (when compared to their lenght) and seem no less able to move then the queen.

[​IMG]

5. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    can you put a "i dont give a s*** option?"

6. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    Well Itza in that pic the large sac is mainly at the back so if it was to explode in a standing stance the explosion would be forced backwards.If it was rolling the explosion would probally be a much nicer spread. Rolling does make it creature like... a unique ball of goo creature.

Buts its all matter of opinion !

Edit: Woo 200 posts

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Actually those sacks of acid 'breathe' almost, like seen on the website, so it's just coincidence and timing that's resulted in that lop-sided positioning. On top of that, if what you said is true, in order for it to explode the acid would have to be forced through the sacks that are closer to the front, which would spray everything forwards, so regardless of how which way it works, walking doesn't hinder anything, especially when you consider that they simply explode, and do not rupture in any specific direction, just as a grenade would. And on top of that I'd already said that one last spinning lunge or roll might work well, so I think your point's been debunked about four or so times now.

And previously you said it made them look more like explosive balls than creatures, and there's nothing that even resembles a rolling creature, except perhaps a clumsy armadillo who's been frightened on the side of a hill or a baby crab that's being hammered by the breakers. The point remains that it makes it look like a physical weapon, which isn't what Zerg are about at all.

And you're right. It is a matter of opinion. You can have a perfectly logical opinion, or a completely irrational opinion.

8. me555

me555 New Member

Do they tuck their little claws in when the roll? Cause it seems awfully hard to roll unless their claws were sticking out.

I agree with Ace. Who gives a damn????

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I seriously don't get where you guys are coming from.

Two questions... Would you care if the Thor hopped around the battlefield? How is this any different?

10. me555

me555 New Member

1.Not really, just as long as it didn't change the gameplay. That would actually look cool if Blizzard managed to pull it off.
    2.Well no it isn't very different , but I guess its just my opinion. I mean you would hardly notice it.

I think what you should be comparing it to is whether the archon should hover or walk.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    You've got to be joking. Regardless of how much it wouldn't effect gameplay, even you wouldn't want Thors to be hopping all over the map. And how would you not notice that exactly? But seriously, the 'doesn't effect gameplay' argument is seriously weak. To put it another way, would you enjoy the game just as much if it had 8-bit graphics?

And no, I shouldn't be comparing it to the Archon, I should be comparing it so something equally as ridiculous, illogical and ineffective, like a hopping Thor.

12. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

I say a walking baneling with more defense and hp then roll in a sumersult with their acids towards the enemy then have it going towards where the first was hit by then have it like the glave worm (if it isn't already).

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think a hopping Thor would be more silly than a rolling Baneling simply because they are Terran and Zerg. We can kinda relate to the Terran race and technology, and a hopping Thor would be as silly as zeratul11's suggestions for Banshee propulsion. :p

Zerg on the other hand are simply weird.
    How do Mutalisks fly?
    Blizzard: "Dunno."

Blizzard could easily pull the same answer when someone asks why the eff Banelings roll.
    Personally, I am ok with them rolling.

14. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    The Baneling rolling is a bit symbolic in my eyes now.

It would just seem... awkward for it to start walking now.

15. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I like the baneling rolling.

Even if they changed it so it walks, I think it would look better if it rolled into its target instead of simply walking into it.

16. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Walking/skittering to an enemy doesn't seem as effective with all those acid and goo in them while its blobbering all over the place. I think rolling is better since its more unique since its actually the only unit that literally rolls

17. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    If you look at the unit design, almost all the acid is in the back, so running headfirst into a unit or building wouldn't be as effective as if it rolled it's back into something.

18. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Yea i thought the same. Rolling banelings looks awesome and sounds awesome :D

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Arrgh!! Can't stop the nonsensicalness!

Being able to relate makes little different. It's still a ridiculous, illogical and completely ineffective method of locomotion. At least there's a reason for Mutalisks and other Zerg flyers to be able to fly in space, but this is just ridiculous. There's no reason and it makes as much sense as a hopping Thor.

Walking is more effective than rolling like that. Fullstop. There's absolutely no mechanical advantage, it's so much more unstable and it's completely illogical.

They completely explode when they hit something. In fact, if anything, they explode outwards on a different plane than they would if they were spinning like that. Also, you can see that acid's animation on the official site, and it's squeezed through all chambers.

Four votes for yes, nine votes for no?! Arrrrrrrgh!

20. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Third option missing as usual. While I second that rolling is nonsensical and an evolutionary failure, it's growing on me. Zerglings, ultras, roaches, and possibly infestors skitter. Why not have someone roll for a change? Lore is important, but diversity even more.