Baneling land mines

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Apr 30, 2009.

Baneling land mines

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I was thinking a cool idea would to be able to set your banelings to land mine mode when they burrow so when the enemy runs over them they explode.

2. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    Hmm, it sounds like a good idea, but perhaps they would need to get a penalty on their damage if set to become land mines, just because that may make them a little overpowered. (The whole, being able to one-shot Marines, and various other units, while being invisible)

3. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

What's wrong with just unburrowing your banelings then?
    And if there would be a penalty, then nobody's going to use it because:
    You can just unburrow them instead.

4. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Alasdair
    What so over powering about that? Think over to the terrans The vulture mine was able to do 120damge of course they're letting units do one shots now but may be this could be an exception. Besides it would look really cool to see a huge section of area just explode out of now were!

5. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    The idea in itself is freaking awesome. However, Starcraft has never been about easy-to-master. Burrow micro is what makes it easy to learn and hard to master, but this ability makes it too convenient to use.

Sorry, because the Baneling is relatively cheap to create and can be massed quickly, auto-unburrow/explode while invisible may be too much.

-Psi

6. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    just unborrow....it'll be the same thing as a land mine...everyone will shoot it and then boom.

7. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    unless they don't a-move... oooh...

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    then the baneling itself would attack before the marines could get away fast enough anyway, i see it as a win - win situation if you can position the banelings correctly, at least before the opponent gets detection.

9. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    It would be more difficult and more rewarding to simply wait until the enemy units are in a good position and can't flee, instead of some units taking the hits at the front of the mine field and the rest being able to pull out. In short i'd ratehr not have this since it is already pretty much in place in a more micro-intensive and effective way.

10. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    True that's a good point.

****OFF TOPIC****
    I heard that the Zerg over lord can trans port like in SC1
    Can anyone back me up?
    ****OFF TOPIC****

Another idea would be to let the overlord have an enrgy bar and when it's full u can drop all units inside at once. And this could be applyed with all of the races.
    Does anyone like this idea?

Think about it u could fly over a bunch of tanks with mutas as cover and drop a crap load of banelings right infront of the tanks.
    That could be a good strategy?

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Normally I hate the word overpowered. Pretty much anything has a way of balancing it, but these Baneling landmines are almost impossible to damage.

Why? Because there is no escape. You could get away from Spidermines in SC:BW. Something that remains invisible untill it attacks you leaves no room for error, and is uncounterable. Since everything in SC -and any rts, for that matter- needs a decent counter, I would call this a bad idea. Nothing wrong with just unburrowing them and hope they explode at the right units.

However, and I know I always say this, it would be great as a scripted event in a singleplayer mission. You know, during an in-game cinematic.

p.s. : You could actually use Spidermines as a weapon by herding them to your enemy iirc. I never really play Terran, so no idea how it works anymore. The person who explains gets a thank you. :D

12. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Lolz
    Ok hears my best explanation of what happens
    U lay the spidermine and when the enemy gets near it springs out and jumps at the near by unit and does a crap load of damge.

Happy?

PS how do u avoid spidermines in SC:BW other then by detectin them and avoiding there area?

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    its here, the last sentence of Karune answer to question 6.

When the Spider Mine pops up and starts running to you(and pauses at times) to blow up, you can target it and destroy it before it does so. easier with range units since you can attack move as soon as you see them, melee units have it harder, you need more of them and hope that the Mine runs to a position where it can get hit by 3-5 units at a time(at least for me anyway).

14. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Making it able to be a "land mine" would decrease the rate of micro needed. It is more like autocasting in my opinion, and this game is not about that.

15. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I think if they made it only damage one unit versus aoe then it would justify the landmine ability.

16. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    That would be a good solution. Real mines also go straight up, at least most of the time, so that would work. However, it still is impossible to counter. If there would be such an ability, then it should become available after the other races get mobile detection. I can think of no other way to keep it fair.

17. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    People are seriously too lazy to burrow Banelings somewhere, do something else for five minutes, and then unburrow when some hapless enemies are nearby?

18. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Not really, Banelings alone just have a crappy sight radius, as far as I know. So you would have to pay close attention to them all the time, which is not something you can afford to as a Zerg player. You could use an Overseer, but you should keep those on the move all the time. Bit of a waste to use them as a lookout.

19. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Then why not Ctrl + 7 the Baneling group so they're set, but not really in the way?

And when you see the enemy color in the revealed fog of war by your Banelings, tap 7 twice to go over to them, then press U (unburrow), and Attack click?

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Overseers are best stationary actually, placed at key locations. When an Overseer is not moving, LoS slowly increase until the sight radius is quite frightening. If the Overseer moves just once LoS is reset to normal.