Are people satisfied with Zerg Buildings?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by SmoothBore, Jul 25, 2008.

Are people satisfied with Zerg Buildings?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by SmoothBore, Jul 25, 2008.

1. SmoothBore

SmoothBore New Member

I have to say I'm not really impressed by the way the structures and base of the Zerg are turning out. Sure, some of the buildings look nice, but thats not really the point. When I first played the Zerg in SC1 I was immediately convinced. Convinced of what? I'm not really sure, but there was something about the whole of the building set that gave a repulsive and menacing feel of a strictly biological race.

From what I've seen from SC2 the Zerg buildings look too pretty. The spawning pool looks like I could swim in it (even though its green), the ultra cavern has an inviting set of stairs and a lovely carved entrance, and the hatchery, well, it looks like a dog toy or something. Where's my filthy defiler pit? the tumourous evolution chamber? the hive! the old hive looked absolutely monstrous, like it could eat you whole. When you walk into a Zerg base you should feel at once like it has all the vulnerabilities of an open body, but also that, like being inside an organism, (in this case one on evoltionary crack) the whole things is out to get you, and you better kill it or get the hell out.

Apart from design I think the Zerg buildings could be helped from some simple changes in texture (like what blizzard did with the Terran buidings). Right now they look like they're far too hard and well defined, generally I think the Zerg should have a softer, more tissued feel (don't give me lore excuses like harder means better protection), as well as a more convoluted, less sharp appearance. (the less I know what something is, the more gross it can be). The Zerg have a certain biological messiness about them which is absolutely horrifying.
    Also, where's the slime? that shiny, mucous like, shimmering of an exposed organ? the pulsations too!

Its not that I think buildings right now are even that bad, but considering what Blizzard can do with a new game, and how they're such perfectionists, I really don't feel that they've captured the essence of what the Zerg feel like, and a large part of that is in how the buildings are designed. They have an oppurtunity to bring something absolutely repellant into 3D, but now it justs looks like they're transferring the style superficially. Here's for change.

2. Ych

Ych New Member

Agreed. Zerg currently needs work. Not only do their building looks ugly. Their units are not too pleasing either. Units like the Hydralisk, Lurker, Infestor, and Swarm Guardians currently need some work.

But don't worry. As we can all see, before Blizzard re textured Terran, everyone was complaining how ugly they looked. They were too cartoony. Their units looks like it comes from Toys R Us. Bam, Blizzard re textured Terran and look how it turned out. Blizzard also stated that they re textured the Terran first. Protoss and Zerg will soon follow after. So yea, I can't wait to see the new re textured Protoss and Zerg.

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    the zerg look way to cartoony, i'm hoping for not only a retexture but a remodel for most of their buildings.

4. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    I too agree. Zerg needs the most work in texture and design. But dont worry, we dont have to complain because blizzard already told us that they are going to re-define the zergs. Gameplay comes first.
    x]

5. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    I feel the buildings look like their sitting ontop of the creep rather than being one with the creep. I would like to see some melding people... MELDING!

6. me555

me555 New Member

Also, part of the reason why you feel a zerg building is a zerg building is because of the sound it gives when the building is complete. I love that squelching noise when a building is apawned. It gives it that more slimey and repulsive effect.
    Also the eerie sounds when you click on some building. E.g. Hives
    It just wouldn't be 100% zerg without it. ;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  7. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I hate the Lair, Hatchery and hive. For me they seem like BIG CAKES, BIG PIES.

8. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

Agreed! The Zerg buildings so far are pretty lame, but so do the units, so it works out in some parallel universe. Protoss buildings look AMAZING (well, besides that stupid looking Dark Obelisk thing.)

- They don't look alive.
    - Look too much like actual buildings, not living organs.
    - They're not connected to the Creep.
    - NEED MORE SLIME!
    - Infestor pit looks worse than the Infestor already does.
    - Spore/Spine Crawlers look out of place.
    - Baneling Nest just doesn't make sense.
    - NEED MORE SLIME!
    - They're too pretty.

9. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    i agree that it looks like their sitting on top of the creep.
    be one with the creep!
    i really hate the extractor, it just looked so badass in starcraft and now its...

10. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    badass?? lol

naa ure right, the extractor needs to be slimy and it should look like its lying on the gas rather than being a building for it...well, not lying flat out, but u know what i mean...

11. SmoothBore

SmoothBore New Member

So I gather the answer is no, people are not satisfied with the look of the Zerg. I just hope blizzard doesn't assume that everything is fine and doesn't make any drastic changes, when really, they need an aesthetic overhaul.

Sliminees, connection to creep, more organic, not so pretty, pulsations. For the Swarm.

12. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    You say ''For the Swarm'' like you say ''For the horde''... WoW player :p it's ''I Live for the Swarm, Sacrifice me!, For the Overmind!'' . I'm just kidding, Blizzard always takes all those same sentence and places, Horde, Swam, Aiur at the end of it. ''For the lich king''.... lol

Anyway, I think the most out the place building is the Baneling nest, most Zerg building has the same style, but the Baneling nest is a totally different color and style. It’s very disturbing..
    Why a Baneling next anyway, let the spawning pool evolve into the Baneling nest, like the greater spire form the spires. Baneling evolves from Zergling, it's not a new unit type.

13. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Spawning Pool to Breeding Swamp.

I'm so clever.

14. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Terrans buildings looked clumsy but now they look bad@$$ but the Zerg buildings are getting there and the Hydralisks IMO looks awesome but they're teeths look like orc teeths :p

15. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I'm pretty satisfied with the over all look of the Zerg, buildings and all.

There is always room for improvement however, and if they are able to make it look any better that's great but I don't think there is anything wrong with them now.

16. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    i agree to a point. But some buildings do look too pretty, eg. the spawning pool and the banelings nest, which moves up and down like its not connected to the creep. The hatchery still looks like a pudding..

im not complaining!!! xD blizzard said they will change the graphics later, so its all good!! xD

17. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I would have to agree that the zerg buildings, as they currently are in screen shots, suck!

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, the current buildings look bad. The creep looks pretty good, but the buildings look toyish. They will most likely get an overhaul just like Terran got though, so I am not worried.

19. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    I agree with you on that the Zerg buildings don't look gross/horrific enough to be called Zerg Buildings. Yet you have to give Blizzard a chance to come up with better design ideas. And maybe shifting into 3D makes it hard to make ugly buildings.

20. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The Terran have shiny buildings. The Zerg are shiny too I see. They shouldn't be. They must get mat