Any plans for another versatile attacking unit? also, cloaked zerg units?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Botnus, Feb 14, 2009.

Any plans for another versatile attacking unit? also, cloaked zerg units?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Botnus, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Botnus

Botnus Guest

It just seems like that was what zerg lacked the most in SC:BW. They had the hydralisk and the mutalisk, but their attack was only 9-13. The Terran had the marine, ghost, goliath, wraith, and battlecruiser, and Protoss had the Dragoon, Archon, Scout, and Carrier. I'm not counting the new queen as a solid versatile unit because you can only have one, and I heard a rumor that banelings can levitate and attack air, but I'm uneasy that they have to explode and be gone to do damage, plus they don't have a lot of hp.

I was hoping Zerg would get a new versatile unit, something like the dragoon or goliath that actually has an attack that can do over 20 damage.

Also, are their any rumors about a regular attacking unit that can burrow and move underground AND attack? (not talking about the infestor) Seems that was the other thing zerg lacked. I liked the Lurker, but if only they could move while burrowed they would be so much better! Terran had two cloaked, ranged units (wraith and ghost) and protoss could have any unit cloaked with the arbitor, not to mention the dark templar who did a massive 40 damage.

If there are any rumors regarding these 2 subjects i'd like to hear them.

2. Reaperoff

Reaperoff New Member

USA
    it would be cool if lurkers evolved xD but i dont want zerg to have cloaked units, i get enough with noob dt spams and cloaked wraiths harrasing my probes :(

3. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    considering the infestor could move while burrowed(last I checked), it could technically be seen as cloaked. Also, considering you can burrow your entire army from view, I would say you could cloak your entire army at will, cept sacrificing attack ability, except for the lurker, which like other cloaked units, cannot be seen without a detector when attacking.

"banelings can levitate and attack air"

that only happens if they get anti-gravitied by the protoss, so it'll only help during team battles since I doubt your enemy will use anti-gravity if he has air units nearby for it to hit.

4. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    Well thats one thing i hated about the zerg...no cloaked units!! Only the lurker could attack while burrowed and it still couldnt move underground and whenever I try to escape a friends army from killing/destroying everything in my base and then just burrow some drones and/or hydralisks/zerglings in a remote place in my base, he always finds them!!! The protoss got observer and the terran got comsat station, so why cant zerg also have maybe a detector underground mover unit?

5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I'm not sure what the point of this sentence is. Are you comparing damage or unit numbers?

That was changed more than three months ago.

Only if targeted by the protoss ability Anti-Gravity. (I think you should read your sources more carefully.)

People who used them at WWI absolutely loved them. You could put them in tall grass or burrow them and create massive explosions.

I do have to wonder about the damage amount; they do a lot less than spider mines. However, I'm serious that they got rave reviews.

Of course their hp have to be low, otherwise they'd be overpowered. That's why you use them in ambush situations.

What did you have in mind? Ultralisks actually do 40 damage (20 x 2 damage) and 60 damage vs buildings. Of course it's not versatile. The unit you're describing is basically a super-powered hydralisk. There's be little reason to build anything other than super-hydralisks in a game.

No, there's no rumors. Zerg won't have real cloaking (except infested ghosts like Kerrigan).

6. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Well I will say that I don't think the Zerg should get cloaked units like is being described, but I will say that I am upset that last I heard they are scaling back the detectability the zerg once had to finding cloaked units.

7. Rex

Rex New Member

Ummm Infested Dragoon Skeletons? From what I remember the Dragoon Shrine had been infest.

Anyways I'm not sure anymore haven't been on in forever.

8. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

They had to. As a side effect of using farms as detectors, every zerg base had overlords floating around it.

Rex: Ummm Infested Dragoon Skeletons? From what I remember the Dragoon Shrine had been infest.

It won't be making dragoons though. There's no protoss around to squeeze into them. Besides, dragoons are crippled protoss. If the zerg learn to infest them, they could heal the crippling anyway.

9. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    But the zerg may be able to control the dragoon exoskeletons the same way the protoss do with the khala? just a thought...

10. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Only if the zerg suddenly become powerful psychics.

Besides, turning zerg into cyborgs just damages their identity. They don't need machines.

11. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

It would be nice if burrowed units could move only if they were on the creep.

12. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    That would be a neat thing to introduce for the zerg, and it'd make since if you read the books, i haven't read them all but the few I have read, but it seems like every time a character meets the zerg they discover tunnels underground that they are traveling through.

13. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

I think burrow moving in creep would be a nice addition to the Zerg however it its lore said the Zerg should be able to move burrow anywhere but that would make it unbalenced but i think they should add burrow moving on creep you would be able to ambush enemies in your midst and cut of retreating enimes there would be unlimted uses however i just figured out something in the main game what if you are attacking enemy Zerg you could pass their defenses unoticed becuse of the creep but i just thought of a balence you would still be able to attack moving Zerg that are burrowed.

Im sorry if this is confusing I just woke up and I was making it up as I went along.

14. morgwar

morgwar New Member

lost really
    Zergs would be so overpowered of burrowed units could move anyway (who needs overlord nowadays?) :D
    Too bad it won't happen, although creep movement is nice.

15. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    The Infestor can be considered an extremely versatile unit, since it can stay underground permanently and cast spells at the same time.

5 Infested Marines out of nowhere just shooting all your workers, that's versatile.

-Psi

16. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Burrowed is the zerg version of cloaked and almost every unit has it now.

Infestors are extremely versatile with such moves like spawn infested marine, neural parasite, and fungal infestation can wreck havoc on anyone and they can move while burrowed.

Same with lurkers and their stronger now.

17. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Does Zerg even have a ground unit that can't burrow in SC2? Only units I know of that cant burrow are the air units.

18. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

The Queen might not be able to burrow? I've never heard if it is or isn't so this is just a question in the dark.

19. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    I'm fairly certain the queen can, and the ultralisk has gained it since brood war so every zerg ground unit can, as far as i know.

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Queen can. Only exceptions are the Larvae, Egg, Swarm (if it's still in), Infested Terran (I think) and Broodling.