Ants (And their relation to the Zerg)

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by 10-Neon, May 30, 2007.

Ants (And their relation to the Zerg)

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by 10-Neon, May 30, 2007.

1. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Watch this video, it's crazy. If the Zerg were as efficient as ants, the StarCraft story would have been over midway through the first chapter.

Ants
    (53 minutes)

Huge ant colonies, weird ant societies, ant experiments, including ants on treadmills.

2. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Re: Ants

If you think of it, if they made the game after the idea that they have of the zerg (in the story and cinematics), it would be finished halfway the first chapter.

3. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL

If you add all of the Zerg brood populations together, you find that there are only a few million of them. Compare that to established Protoss and Terran populations, each presumably in the hundred millions(not counting Terran populations back at the Terran system, which would be in tens of billions), and even including the fact that the average Terran or Protoss is physically weaker than the average Zerg, and you'll see that the Zerg are actually fighting an uphill battle. You'll notice that most of their important victories came from surprise attacks on unsuspecting foes.

4. Fallrider

Fallrider New Member

I felt like I had ants all over me after that >.>

But yeah, ants are really weird insects.

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Or rushes.

:p

6. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Thats only the broods in the starcraft manual (and only the ones in the koprulu sector) I also don't think the manual is correct in that.

7. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL

You'll notice that those are the only broods (outside of Kerrigan's and the player's broods, which are both probably very small) that actually engage anything in the game. If the Zerg swarms were much bigger, as you imply, you'd think they would have been able to defend the Cerebrates and the Overmind a little better.

8. mc2

mc2 New Member

it's probably unlikely there'll be any zerg outside the kropulu sector. (unless the xel made some more)
    all the zerg that were made by the xel in the universe are under control of the overmind. and all the zerg migrated to the sector, particularly aiur when the overmind located the planet. So it's likely that there's no zerg anywhere outside the sector and hence all the zerg are under the control of Kerrigan.

9. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL

So we accidentally made this more about StarCraft than ants. Whoops.

10. Gold

Gold New Member

that was an amazing documentary, how they build there hive clusters is so cool.
    i was gonna play zerg in starcraft2 but now i really want to.
    i hope they make it so not only is each zerg building a building, but also an undergorund tunnel into a chamber underneath the hatchery, you woudnt have to see it, it jsut be like garrisoning a unit in a building out of c&c

11. coalescence

coalescence New Member

After it migrated to aiur (don't think you can really call it koprulu sector, think thats too far away) there were still zerg in the koprulu sector (read: terran planets). There's no telling if there are other cerebrates that travel through other parts of space finding new worlds/species to take over.

12. Gold

Gold New Member

i think ants and humans are the complete opposite of each other.

humans rather individuality and slef preservation, but at the same time craving unity and love etc

while ants are totally about unity with no concept of individuality or individual creativity.

saying that though, were like two sides to the same coin both is needed to ahve a full peny, cuase one concpet without the other leads to no pennys

13. darklizard

darklizard New Member

I think ants are cool, they are a bit like the zerg but they are not parasitic

14. Gold

Gold New Member

i always thought the zerg were jsut based on insects in general, theres stuff from different films, tv shows and stuff all in the zerg.
    Even the way they can infest people is a similar idea to the borg from startrek.

ANd actually, we humans arnt as eveolved as we think, were jsut arrogant.
    monkeys have more genes apparently, were jsut luck that we got the gene that gives us bigger brains, and weve got a gene that gives us thumbs and speech.
    we are so lucky it unbelieveble. the fact that we exist is the product of a gaint maths equation that is the universe, technically its nearly impossible for us to exsit, but we have to exist, or else the universe coudnt exist, lol the confusing world of logic and maths

15. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Number of genes doesn't make something better evolved. There are much genes that give people cancer or bitch defects. The top of the evolution would be a creature with the maximum effectiveness and intelligence with a minimum amount of genes.

16. Gold

Gold New Member

i remeber reading about this, a chimp has 200 and something genes whislt we only have 150.
    your right it dosnt make something "better" evolved it just makes it more evolved. IN the same way that a polar bear is good in the snow and the cold, but would be way to fat and hot to live in a rainforest, i know that dsont explain why we have genes that are linked to cancer or alzheimers.
    we are obivusly better than chimps since there are far more of us, we are lucky that we get genes that insure are surviaval, empathy etc, but technically they are more evolved.

17. coalescence

coalescence New Member

No I don't agree.

Dictionary:
    evolution (uncountable)
    (general) A gradual process of development, formation, or growth, esp. one leading to a more advanced or complex form.

That's the general meaning of evolution. The species that has the best survival rate (compared to other species in that area) is the most evolved.

Even if you take the biological side of the story:

evolution (uncountable)
    (biology) The change in the genetic composition of a population over successive generations.

It doesn't talk about the number of genes.

18. Gold

Gold New Member

this is jsut something i read on digg, im sure i got some parts wrong.
    and you cant fight the dictonary

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Wow, awsome link to secret SC2 footage. Thanks!

Early in the vid, that reaver had no chance, those zerglings were all over it. At least this confirms that reavers will be in SC2.

Check this out The death of Zerg.

I've seen a few idea suggestions, from various places, for a plant race as the fourth race. Let's see them wipe out most of Zerg in SC3. Grow flowers on people's heads lol.

20. Gold

Gold New Member