Another Thor Redesign

Discussion in 'Terran' started by MobileInfantry, Oct 31, 2007.

Another Thor Redesign

Discussion in 'Terran' started by MobileInfantry, Oct 31, 2007.

1. MobileInfantry

MobileInfantry New Member

Hello, I spent a few minutes on paint to make a new design for the Thor, which is mainly inspired by NateSMZ's melee Thor idea. Although I do give props to Gasmaskguy for making a redesign too and for using paint :D.

I haven't given much thought to the Hp,movement speed,and other details about this guy.

This Thor has two large arms used as blunt weapons and claws. Its attack animation would probably be him swinging his torso in clockwise and then counterclockwise before he makes a full 360. Since his arms aren't that flexible nor that much movable, he has to move his torso to swing his arms. He also can swing his arm across the ground to do melee splash damage. He also has flamethrowers on his knee joints, 3 barrels to be exact that spew fire in front of the Thor, most likely it doesn't go too far. He still has his artillery cannons on his back, because i think it makes him look cooler and that its a nice skill.

So im thinking, the Thor will have 2 skills.
    Artillery Cannon Bombardment
    Triple Flame thrower Spray

And last but not least, my cruddy paint picture of my explained Thor, I hope you can make it out since its mainly boxes and colors that may blend with each other to give a different picture than I was looking at.

[img width=512 height=384]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee2/MobileInfantry/Thor-1.jpg[/img]
    [img width=512 height=384]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee2/MobileInfantry/Thor2-1.jpg[/img]
    Also, sorry if i could of just continued one of the other Thor redesign polls, i just wanted to throw this out.
    -Woops almost forgot THANKS ARCHLIMIT FOR THE THOR WALLPAPER! GOD BLESS YOU! I didn't know what a Thor looked like so I used ArchLimit's Thor Wallpaper as the reference.

2. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

I think the idea is intresting, but a pure melee attack doesn´t really fit the terrans (even the scv attacks with a torch, not being directly in contact with the enemy). However, the idea is very good, and I like it, but I don´t see it being applied to the game.

edit: first to comment :thumbup:

3. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

interesting drawing =]

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The melee claw weapons are just rip-offs from the WarHammer 40 000, Space Marine Dreadnought, which also had three smoke launchers on its top and flamers under its wrists, you've just got them as three flamers on its knees. The Space Marine Dreadnought, in Dawn of War, also had an attack where it would spin its torso around to hit the enemy. I find it strange that you have described and drawn a unit that is basically a Dreadnought, having the exact same claws and attack, but you give the credit to NateSMZ, Gasmaskguy and ArchLimit. Here is a picture of the Dreadnought:
    [img width=228 height=233]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee72/itzahexgor/Blood_Angel_Dreadnought_Furioso_3.gif[/img]
    Notice how the fists and claws are exactly the same? The guns on the Thor's knees are very similar to the ones on the Dreadnoughts back and the Thor's feet have been changed to be more like the Dreadnought. Blizzard has been accused enough of being unoriginal, so why would you want them to implement an idea like this?

5. Overling

Overling New Member

Wow, ItzaHexGor! Now that you brought up the similarities, I'll have to say I do want the Thor to be scrapped! No way in hell I want a unit in SC2 that is a copy of another one..

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Thor itself is not at all similar to the Dreadnought, the only real similarity between them being that they are both offensive walker-vehicles. It is MobileInfantry's idea and remodeling of the Thor that is exactly the same as the Dreadnought. I want the original Thor to remain in the game, but this redesign should count as plagiarism.

7. Overling

Overling New Member

But they do look similar nevertheless. It is going to be harder than I thought to make it original. Not only within the own terran units, but also within the context. I know games have copied the marines, but let's not make it a trend, shall we?

Then again, what kind of new unit could the terrans have that is not a giant walker? They've got tanks, floaters, bikes (deceased Vultures), ships, capital ships, helicopters (Banshees), star-fighters (Predator), general space infantry, repair-ship, jet-packs, worker-bots... not much else to explore, is there?

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It is perfectly alright for Blizzard to make their own walker-vehicles, like the Viking, Thor and to a lesser extent the SCV, but if they directly take the walker-vehicle from another game, like this guy has suggested, then that is when it starts to get cr@p.

9. MobileInfantry

MobileInfantry New Member

Hmmm.. wow guess I'm not the only person that thought of an idea like that. I haven't played Warhammer, but I did remember something about Dreadnought and their melee arms. So now that you point that out, it turns out I really did describe the Dreadnought except for the flamers on the knees. So I guess that pretty much makes my idea moot.

And I gave NateSMZ and Gasmaskguy credit because of their ideas around the Thor, as for ArchLimit, I was using his Thor wallpaper as the reference to draw the Thor body,and legs, of which I did change the legs because they looked too....lumpy so I changed it to something I thought of to make it looks better in my perspective. Thanks ItzaHexGor for pointing the similarities out, well time to go back to the thinking board.

10. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

i think blizzard should of went with the original idea and make a super tank. I know it warhammer but i like it.
    [img width=365 height=270]http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Imperial_Guard_Stormblade.jpg[/img]

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    A super-unit tank would be way to generic. The Thor is great at the moment, so why does everyone want to redesign it or get rid of it? It doesn't overlap with Siege Tanks and Banshees much, because they all have different ways of commencing their attacks. Siege Tanks have to go into Siege Mode, where they have a powerful, area of effect, against ground units, but they are easily beaten once the enemy gets to close or attacks from the air. The Banshees are air units and can cloak, so their way of attacking is different to both the Siege Tank and Thor, because of its ability to cloak and because it is able to avoid cliffs and whatnot. The Banshee can also only attack ground units. The Thor doesn't have a minimum range, can attack air units and on top of this has a huge Bombardment ability that can tear open the opponents front line of defense in seconds.

12. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

in reality.

MECH>TANKS. period

starcraft is 2400+ years in the future. MECH is the next best thing.

im sure UED has something similar to this. haha. well not as overwhelming as these mobile suits.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Or17QKYRkog
    NOTE: gundam 00 is set in the year 2300+ way behind starcraft. =p ofcourse there are still tanks in gundam or any sci fi universe. ::)

so DONT cut the thor. 8)

i hope they will remove and change the lame reapers pistol. come on! 2400+ years and you give them pistols? #%$@&(. hahah. and i thought blizzard has already learned from starcraft 1 "unhigh tech" like concept. why pistols? why bullets? its NOT realluy that badass. come up with something better than pistols.

and

THOR is TERRAN.

just look at the marines. they look ike small armored MECHS. THOR will be the pinnacle of terran mobile vehicle not tanks etc.

THOR / MECHS / GUNDAMS / did i mention MECHS = PWNZ ANYTHING SCI FI!... in SCI FI MECHS OWNS not clones not x fighter not death stars not siege tanks. =p
    starcraft 2 is set in the year 2400+ its about time the TERRAN GET SOME MECH.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Zeratul, stop making the same post in 7 different threads! The money you got from that should be removed.... :mad:

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It definitely should. It is a useless post that serves no purpose. The only thing it does it give his opinion, and he doesn't even back it up in any way. Bad form, Zeratul11, very bad form.

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

sorry. im really sorry. i was just trying to protect and make the thor safe. =p

peace. ^^

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Make the Thor safe by arguing valid points. Your post was completely unnecessary without any facts. If anything it made me want to get rid of the Thor. Think about what you are saying before posting.

17. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I like the drawing. I could never draw something like that in paint.

18. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    Nice drawing, i wouldn't be able to do that (impatient). but i think that the short rang blasts are kinda what the Terran are all about, even firebats the Terran front liners have a "Ranged" attack. front liners are good and the Thor can do that already, tanks not so much. Change is good, but not always needed. maybe the Flame throwers are an improvement but sometimes too much is too much. so i say leave as is and let the beta show us what it'll do (if it ever comes out :p, after all it took em 10 years to get SC2 announced). Until then as the song says "Whisper words of wisdom, let it be."-the Beetles

oops misspelled "nice" forgot to spell check

19. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Actually that thor design looks quite like some of the mechwarrior mecs. And I agree I'd want the thor scrapped. I'm much prefer more goalith like replacement. Sure it looked like a mech but that to me was the idea. That was probably my favourite unit in SC 1.

Anyways back on topic. I think a super tank is a good idea. But there needs to be a little anti air defence on it. Cause even today armies use machine guns and rockets all the time to hit air attackers. And apart from the missile turret from SC 1 (dunno if it's in SC2) this aspect is largely lacking from SC 2. I really want a unit that can move on the ground, and do a little ground damage but a fair amount of air damage. and that's it. Might unbalance things though.