AMD Phenom vs Core 2 duo/quad

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by blizzrox, Nov 18, 2007.

AMD Phenom vs Core 2 duo/quad

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by blizzrox, Nov 18, 2007.

1. blizzrox

blizzrox New Member

AMD is going to be lauching its new series of desktop chips called " Phenom"...i dont really know alot of technicalities, but I was wandering wat u guys think...will b a competitor with core 2 duo/quad or is considered more like a new-gen thing...

2. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I'm not 100% sure but since AMD already has competition for those Intel chips I would guess it is next gen.

I saw something interesting on Slashdot about this but I didn't take the time to read it. Maybe I should. At any rate I'll ad a link the the slashdot article.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/17/1214259

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    One thing you need to know is the Core 2 quad is actually 2 dual cores welded together whereas the AMD quad is all 4 cores on one die and AMD has always had a better memory architecture so I think they might have a chance. AMD chips have always been able to do more per clock cycle than Intel chips so the only reason Intel has more powerful chips is that they run higher clock speeds

4. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

next gen pretty sure. Initial launch (q4 07~11/19) will be competitively priced($240-$280) at relatively low Ghz compared to more recent dual core proccessors (2.2, 2.3, 2.4. 4 cores? maybe it will make up for it)

late q1 or early q2 08 they should have the new tri-core proccessors ??? who knows may be good 2.3, 2.5 ghz
    in q2 08 they will put the heavy duty stuff out there for the comp enthusiast's (2.X-3.X) quads

w00t this is what i remember nothing official

picture time [img width=230 height=272]http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/images/phenom.jpg[/img]

seems the 9700 series ^^2.4 ghz has system errors so it will be delayed

waiting for this to upgrade ftw

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    AMD always has a lower clockspeed than Intel.

You can't really compare the two since the architecture is so different but I believe that the Phenom's clockspeeds will be close to maybe a little higher than the current chips AMD has

6. Quanta

Quanta New Member

You can compare the two using benchmarks.  It isn't a perfect solution since diffreent cards perfrom differently on different benchmarks but it is good at giving a general picture of where the cards stand.  Also, if you have a specific game in mind, having that game as a benchmark in a comparison test will allow to see which card works best for that game.

http://www.tomshardware.com/  This is always a good site for seeing comparison tests of different CPU's and GPU's

It seems according to there latest charts the top intel cards are beating out the top AMD cards. However, that really isn't all that important if you are actually looking to buy a card unless you want to buy the most expensive, which is always a bad move. These are useful if you are looking at several cards in your price range and you want to see which gives you the most bang for your buck.

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I am intel user.. what experiences do you have with amd?

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The processor we are talking about hasn't been released yet so it can't be compared to anything yet.

I use AMD right now since Intel costs so much and they work pretty well.
    I got a boxed processor (comes with heat sink) and it runs cooler than my hard drive it runs decent though I am wanting a multi core processor.  In the high price range Intel has the best because AMD doesn't produce that high end of equipment but in the low to mid price ranges AMD does better than most Intel processors since Intel focuses on the bleeding edge of technology.

If you want to have the top of the line best equipment possible go with Nvidia and Intel but if you want something mid range and not too expensie AMD and Ati are much more affordable and work just as well

9. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Well, I was giving the tom's hardware link for general intel/AMD comparisons. I know Phenom hasn't been released yet and I am not likely to buy that processor any time soon anyway since I never get the top end stuff.

I also use AMD since, generally speaking, AMD CPU's tend to give you more bang for your buck, as in AMD CPU's tend to be cheaper than Intel CPU's that perform about the same in benchmark comparisons. I've got my AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ ticking away right now. Its one of the older AMD dual cores and has a clock speed of 2 gigahertz. It was quite a bit cheaper than the equivelent Intel chipset when I bought it, and it has been working nicely for the past 15 months.

10. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

people need to look things up.

It is realesed today but not sure where you can buy, most places sold out all pre-orders

11. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Oh, I didn't know it was released today, I just knew it was some time in the near future. It still doesn't matter though, Tom's Hardware and other sites won't have any benchmarks up yet. Then again, depending on how fast these people on these sites are, that could be wrong too.

12. blizzrox

blizzrox New Member

well, good discussion, regardless, pple who plan on buying a PC within the nxt year or so (including myself) will prob end up having to chose between intel core 2 duo/quad or AMD Phenom (instead of Athlon) ...so i guess it really ends up being which chip will better suit normal/gaming needs...but i honestly think both will overkill sc2/diablo 3 (eventually, when it comes) needs..

13. Gradius

Gradius New Member

I heard phenom is very easy to overclock. So if you're into that kind of thing, you would definitely get a price/performance ratio as good as or better than any intel chip.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    @ Tweak.  I had heard it was going to be released the 19th but hadn't heard anything so didn't know if it was out at the time.  It wasn't exactly a big event and news on Intel goes through more quickly

The only thing that was in the news was about the Spider system AMD released with the Phenom