Alternate weapons for Reapers.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Dec 2, 2007.

?

Do you think Reapers need a new weapon? If so which one?

1. Reapers are fine with their current weapons.

100.0%
  2. Other, (More options will be added as I recieve them)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Blast Cannon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Alternate weapons for Reapers.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Dec 2, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I've seen a lot of dislikement for the Reaper pistols, so here's a post where you can come up with alternate weapons. It can be from other games with futuristic guns like Unreal Tournament or something else.

One thing to keep in mind, the unit is a raider, not a soldier for frontal assault. It has to be a light weapon, and ranged. No bazookas, flamethrowers, mortars etc.

Edit:
    Microwave Disruptor: Also called masers, these are actually microwave-frequency lasers. They cause the cells of living tissue to explode. Non-living targets take half damage, except for electronic equipment, which takes full damage. Armor protects normally, but the weapon is useless against metal armor. When hit, the armor will spark madly, but its wearer will be unharmed. This weapon is unaffected by laser-inhibiting countermeasures.
    - Good vs smaller unarmored units like workers, infatry, which is what the Reaper is all about.

2. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

you should jot down a list and make a poll

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    They should just get a good ol' rifle to help them along. They don't need anything too fancy.

4. Goliath Online

Goliath Online New Member

Maybe a shotgun ?

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Na. They need something light. They should have like vibro-shivs....Like....The Terrans saw the horrors the Zealots simple blades could inflict, so they created a human counterpart.....Eh? Or is Jetpack+I cut you too much like Charge+I cut you?

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes anything that has nothing to do with bullets. maybe an electric charge like attack like in the movie matrix revolution (the infantry weapon).

7. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

maybe shurikens fired from a special gun

8. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

What about shooting little explosive charges that stick to a target and expolode a second later.

They basically shoot them with a high pressure gun, much like what entertainment people use to shoot prizes to crowds at football and basketball games.

They can shoot many of those fast, that do only 2-3 damage,but negate armor or something.

9. needler

needler New Member

I like the pistols, but if you want that reapers have other weapons then they should have small sub machineguns, like Uzis. Well, they're quiet similar to pistols. :)

10. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

i think a shotgun that is like the Bioshock shotgun using electric bullets
    fun

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

wah. not pistols, not uzis, not rifle, not shotguns, not bullets again similar to the marines. the terran dont have an in game rocket launcher infantry or something so its just right to give the reaper something better than bullets to make the in game infantry of the terran look powerful. just take a lookt at unrealtournament 3, suprememe commander, warhammer, halo 3, metroid prime, universe at war infantries etc they have powerful and great infantry weapons.. see rachet and clank going commando there a lot of weapons you can think of, blizzard are you lazy? CUT the nostalgic stuffs about the terran when will you learn blizzard! starcraft 3? the time is NOW. something that is not invented yet so that the reaper will gain more poersonality. xp

12. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

shotgun that shoots energy like the one in Bioshock
    (lol)

13. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i have no idea. anyway sound good with the energy. so its ok with me. =)

i have an artwork for the reaper new weapon. i'll upload it in less than 24hrs. ^^

14. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well I think the thing that makes units more interesting and unique is when they have a mechanic that makes them different.

So if we're not including Flamethrowers as an attack (as I've suggested thousands of times) then I think we should move to a new type of weapon that changes the way players use the unit. So instead of a traditional AoE attack, let's take a little something from the Zerg and create a line of fire.

The Reaper would have a type of laser or armor-piercing bullet that travels in a straight line and does damage to its target. But it also passes through that target and will hit anything behind it. So if a Reaper fires at a Probe or SCV it will do initial damage to that unit and continue through in a straight line, much like the Glave Wurm but it doesn't choose what to attack. The damage would obviously be reduced as it passes through targets, just like the Glave Wurm.

So if you had a large group of Reapers, they would be awesome for taking down Swarms of units, but would still retain their ability for ranged attacks. The bullets would go in a straight line, and so depending on the angle of each Reaper to its target, there would be a literal hail of bullets that would sweep through an area.

This would also emphasize their role as taking down small or slow units because of the high attack low damage effect of armor. The initial attack might do 5 or 6, the second 3, then 1-2. It would also emphasize the group mentality of the Reapers created by the 4-at-a-time build. One Reaper wouldn't be very effective, but 20 Reapers would create almost an AoE field of fire that would wipe small units out. They might even be more effective than Firebats against Zerglings and Hydralisks.

15. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Many of these ideas are great, but I think that the dual pistols fit the Reapers goal's very well (perhaps not personality, unless the small guns agrivate them further :p)
    The pistols shoot fast, and in numbers can take our workers very well.
    I don't see any reason to change it. The weapon serves its purpose.
    Maybe if they would just change the model from two pistols to two SMG's....
    Thats my 2 cents

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Reapers can attack air?

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    As far as I know they can't attack air.

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

and as far as i now pistols is not that effective in scifi. blizz just decided pistols to make them look badass and blizz always want the terran to be nostalgic. which i think they will regret in the future.. im sure there will be no more nostalgic weapons in sc3. but i think they should do it now in sc2. other weapons are way more badass and more powerful, practical, effective lorewise than the pistols. just invent something blizzaed i like Joneagle_X idea like arnold's eraser gun which it can pass through targets etc.

18. the8thark

the8thark New Member

To me marines are the unit who'd pump a heap of lead into the target and hope it goes down. But the reaper would use it's pistols and actually aim for the targets weak points. That's why I'd like to see it as is but with an upgrade which near doubles it's damage and it's called more accuracy training or something.

But for a better gun? Maybe you could have explosive bullets as an upgrade that add a little splash and more damage at the cost of the rate of fire. And maybe this could be a thing he needs energy to use. It could be like 50 energy per shot or something. Just an idea. And this could be the main way he'd be able to do any kind of significant damage to mechanic units. Cause I see him as an organic unit killer mostly.

19. cohnee

cohnee New Member

I think there meant to be pretty badarse pistols. The Super duper desert eagles of the future or something. Remember these units are raiding units. Your going to use them in numbers (part of the reason I'm sure that they were built in that unusual way from the merc heaven originally) and they're meant for attacking low hp units, or units without much support. In a way they're a little like zerglings.

20. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    i think that they should be armed with small hand held lasers that fire in short contled bursts they would still be small and light weight and do accurate damage.