aKa-jR's intro, and a Terran Solution.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by aKa562jR, Feb 12, 2008.

aKa-jR's intro, and a Terran Solution.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by aKa562jR, Feb 12, 2008.

1. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum, so before I get started on my topic, let me introduce myself. My name is Jarid Rose, and I am 26 years old. I live in Long Beach, California. I have been playing StarCraft avidly since the very first day it was released back in 1998. I was only 17 then. Ever since day one I have been a rock solid Terran fan, and nobody will ever change my love for Terran. I am very excited for StarCraft 2. That's why I came here; I wanted a good forum to talk about StarCraft 2, and I havn't found a decent one until now. So, to get started, I'd like to talk about a common issue I've heard about recently, and my solution to it.

Everyone has been sobbing and sulking since Blizzard said the Predator was cut from StarCraft 2. Everyone has their ideas for a new air to air Terran fighter to take its place. Well, I have a brand new idea that I'm sure none of you have ever heard before. It is an elite Terran fighter called the Falcon. It looks like a mix between a Valkyrie from StarCraft 1 and the fighter mode of the new Viking. It has twin automatic gauss rail cannons. It costs exactly 650 minerals, 450 gas, and 4 supply spots. Yes, this is expensive, but remember, it's an elite air-superiority fighter. It only shoots air to air, but it can take down the likes of Carriers, Vikings, Battlecruisers, Phoenixes, and almost anything else you can think of. A handful can even take down a Mothership. Now, this is no ordinary unit, so it is not built from a Starport. It is actually built from a Battlecruiser. You need to have a 'cruiser out on the battlefield and build it from there (it takes about 5/8 of the time to build as a 'cruiser). But once this is built, it's truly a sky demon. What do you think?

2. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Well I like the idea, being built from a unit is an original idea...but...a few thoughts:
    First thing I would say, though is the Battle Cruiser is a Tier 3 units for sure, and is usually the last unit made, if at all. Obviously since this unit is built from the BC it would be a Tier 3...
    That just is a big factor to take into consideration. So tack on the cost of a BC to that. Falcon requiers -> BC -> Starport -> Some addon -> Factory -> Barracks

Another thing to note:
    The Viking is an air superiority fighter already that takes down heavy armor, so that role is somewhat already fufilled.

On the other hand, seeing as how the Protoss have a super units, it seems fit for the Terran to have one too. how about lowering the price and supply slightly to make a super unit that...isnt a single unit.
    Perhaps they would be limited to a certain amount per player.

Nice idea though.
    Have some power for the contribution. :powerup:

3. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

Yes, my "Falcon" is supposed to be late-game super unit...but I wouldn't exactly call the Viking an air-superiority fighter.

And thank you very much for the power!

4. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

terran sky demon is a good name for the new terran ATA unit. i like it but i think it cost to much.. and i want laser weapon for the main terran ATA fighter better.

and welcome aKa562jR.

5. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Well its air mode is currently the Terran air - air fighter, and it specialty is heavy armor.

And yes, welcome, btw.

So where does this leave the BC then?
    I don't want to make it irrelevant.

6. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

The BC is still the Terran capital ship. That will never change.

And hello zeratul...but lasers are sooo not Terran. Plus, since it's really powerful, it needs to cost a lot.

7. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    So quickly, how will the BC and your ships role's differ?
    i just wana fully understand, i like this idea, i wana streamline it.

8. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

Mine is a fast, speedy fighter for intercepting enemy ships and/or fleets, and the BC is for base raiding mainly.
    *Plus, mine is ONLY AtA.

9. Ximnipot69

Ximnipot69 New Member

Huskvarna, Sweden
    Hello there and welcome to the forum! :D

Your idea is cool. I like it! :thumbup:

10. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

Hello; thanks.

11. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

That's a great idea! And welcome to the forums! :powerup: for you!

12. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

Thanks man! And thanks for selling me the frame!

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    WELCOME
    Nice to have another nice guy on this forum...
    I really like the idea, but i dont think it fullfills the role that is needed.
    The predator was/ would be a cheap AA against units like mutalisks etc.
    The unit you have created would be a super unit, and it wouldnt really fit into the spot the predator took.
    It also comes pretty late (tier 4), so you will not be able to use it against mutalisk harass (late harass).
    And i dont want every race to have a "super" unit.

14. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

Well, Vikings can still stop Mutalisks, but what's wrong with every race having a super unit?

15. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    The viking has no bonus vs light units, so its attack will be much weaker against mutalisks than Capital Ships (you did not use the firebat against big and "capital" units did you?) ... So i really don't think the Terran would be able to handle it, because its just dont has the power it need to fight mutalisks... (you can search for predator here on the site, then you will find some much better explanations)
    And about the super units:
    Starcraft 1 was so amazing because every race was different, and in SC2 they added another special thing to the protoss: the MS, a unit you could only have one of. And if every race gets a super unit, that would be boring (ever played AOE2? Couldn't it be boring in the end playing with the same units?)

16. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

Same units? There's nothing similar about them. And yes, the Viking doesn't have bonus vs. light units, but enough of them (and maybe even some marines) could take them out.

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Look at the cost for gods sake
    You would be totally destroyed...
    The vikings normal attack is very low, the only thing that makes it strong is its bonus (at least in the gameplay-video).
    You wouldn't fight scourges with a MS would you?

18. Ghillie

Ghillie New Member

Well I have not posted much on the forums much, only when I have a really good idea. (only once) Anyway, it is an interesting concept, however it will honestly come too late in the game to be of any practical use in online games. Thats not to say that the concept should be scrapped. I personally think that it should cost, perhaps less than half and be rather weaker.
    That being said, I do believe that the Nomad should have the ability to create them. If it were like that then I think that it would be all set. Also, make it have a bonus against lightly armored units such as mutas. Anyway, if you really want to, the player could have some sort of upgrade for the BC to build them as well, but that would really overlap the role if the nomad were to build them.
    Just my 2 cents ;)

19. aKa562jR

aKa562jR New Member

Actually, that's a great idea. I didn't think of the Nomad. Okay, so it's built by the Nomad, costs 450 minerals and 350 gas instead, is slightly weaker but is still an air-superiority super-unit, and has a small bonus to lightly armored units, since it's already so strong. Perfect! This would actually make the Nomad more commonly used. Anything else to make it even better?

20. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Welcome to the forums aKa562jR! ;D

The mention of the Nomad gave me an idea: AtA drones that fires a volley of small rockets (not AoE). Sounds fun to me, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Your idea sounds cool, but we already have the Battlecruiser as the heavy assault ship. Your Falcon sounds more like a Hero Viking than anything else. Still cool, just sounds massively overpowered. :p