Adding to Hellion unit the ability to lay mines ?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by cougar, Mar 8, 2010.

Adding to Hellion unit the ability to lay mines ?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by cougar, Mar 8, 2010.

1. cougar

cougar New Member

I know this may catch up or drop down from the start but if so pls give reasons and tactics... U all know that it had more than one purpose (deffence, haras, prevention, spy , etc ). I still see it as a good tactical weapon and would like your opinions on this matter if any pls ...

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I'm not entirely convinced that the policy Blizzard is following will prove to be feasible. I understand swapping vulture and firebat attacks as far as place of production is concerned, to mix up racial builds, but removing outstanding, trademark, versatile, novel, and effective mechanics such as the spider mines just for the sake of avoiding accusations of unimaginativeness or attempting to "bring something new because this is SC2" might backfire.

I understand currently Terran do not need mines because of their unit composition. However, I've always liked the classic TvP games where Terran always fortified their positions with sieged tanks, mines, supply depots, turrets, etc. That is (was?) their racial trait, much like how aggressive, swift pushes are characteristic of Protoss and stalking, multi-frontlined skirmishes/pincers of Zerg. Now Terran seem more similar to Protoss in that they are highly mobile (reapers, medivacs), and that's a bit of a meh. That's coming from someone who hasn't played SC2 at all, mind you.

So to respond to your post, I would welcome mines, but surely enough everything would need to be redone concerning Terran arsenal because of it. As that isn't likely to happen, hellions most probably won't get mines.

3. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    i think thats not necessary

4. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    I think mines will partly overlapp with Autoturrets, even throught Autoturres are only temporary. Also givning mines will by the same as giving a SC1 firebat mines instead of stimpacks.

5. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    Giving Hellions mines would make them totally overpowered. The Hellion has an upgarde that increases its bonus damage by + 10 vs light. This make them deal 16 damgage only in bonus vs light in additon to its standad damage of 8. The attack also deals splash damage in a line. I also discovered that upgrading Vehicle Weapons also increases bonus vs light by + 1.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    A Mine Drone was already suggested (did that ages ago) and even implemented a while later (which was cool). However, it got axed again later on. Check the q&a batches from about q4 2008, if I remember correctly.

7. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

I luv mines. Nooooooo..... specially when protoss drops zealots and pop goes the tanks.

8. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    I remember Terran vs Terran games with my Dad in Starcraft 1.. I would send out a Ghost to nuke him, and he'd set a million mines outside his base xD. Mines are fun, wish they'd keep them =P