A question about buying a Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by nx130, Dec 6, 2007.

A question about buying a Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by nx130, Dec 6, 2007.

1. nx130

nx130 New Member

Hey I have a quick question: Do you really need the internal hard drive for the 360 if you have the 512mb memory card and only plan to use the memory to store saved games? I wanna know to see if i can save about $80 by not buying a hard drive.

thanks

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Well, I'm thinking about buying a 360 and if you ask me, you should get the hard drive. 512 is usually too low to be really convenient. I make a ton of saved games and occasionally run out of space, which is extremely annoying. Even though individual saved games are only a few megabytes in size, it could add up pretty quickly. I guess if you're only going to use it for saving it's fine, but there's also those demos and games you could get from Xbox Live, which is one of the biggest pluses for the 360.

3. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Also you need a harddrive if you want to play regular X-box games on your 360.

4. The Watcher

The Watcher Guest

I got the expanded memory for the xbox 360 (non-elite) and I rather suprisingly quick ran out of memory. (I blame TES4:Oblivion, seriously I have 2 saves 1 char, but my friends/bros have like 20ish each)

5. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    tell them to delete some of there char and saves

how big is your hard drive watcher?

6. JBL

JBL New Member

My thoughts on Xbox (note: this is an hypothesis, I might be very wrong)

ok.. beside the very wrong thing.. here's something that I'm very sure and that is very accurate from trusty sources.. (I worked in the video game industry) Nintendo (and Sony) makes a new console every FIVE years. The Wii is 1 year old, next gen nintendo console is coming in about 4 years, probably early 2011 or mid 2012.. might be late 2012... and Sony usually follow that as well..

Sega used to do the same thing.. but they released their console before the others.. always.. so it was getting older faster.. and.. well that's why they suck..

Now it's time for my hypothesis.. remember when the XBox was first sold? yeah.. it was like 2 years after the ps2 and 1 year after the gamecube.. something like that??

So.. if they did like Nintendid (lol) the Xbox 360 should have been out AFTER the Wii and PS3... but it was out 1 year earlier.. I remember when the XBox 360 was new.. I was like.. WOAA that's a bit fast.. because I was still playing with my PS2 and stuff..

Imagine if the same thing happen.... the next XBox console might be out in 1 or 2 years.. if they do that 3 years thing.. the next XBox is coming in about 10 months.. (this is where I'm probably wrong but.. well.. maybe I'm right.. who knows?)

I suspect microsoft to work on several consoles at the same time in order to make them faster.. I'm pretty sure they were working on the 360 when they made the original XBox and that they are working on maybe 2-3 next gen consoles right now!

If the new Xbox (probably with a Wii-like controller) is annonced in a year.. I wouldn't be surprised at all.. so.. I wouldn't buy a 360 that is already getting old...

Even if what I just said is totally wrong.. here's why I wouldn't buy a 360.

For reasons that I don't even need to write here, the PS3 is obviously a much better console than the 360.. the PS3 games are coming in 2008 and will make it an amazing console.. I'm predicting that in 2010-2011 the PS3 will have the best games, best graphics, best sounds, best technology, bla bla bla.

The price of the 360 and the PS3 are almost the same.. I suggest you don't get a 360 and wait like 6 months for some good games on the ps3 (and a price drop) and then buy a PS3.

Yeah I sound like a PS3 fan.. you know what? I've never seen a PS3 in my life.. I only saw a XBox 360 in stores.. never played it.. and I played the Wii for about 1 hour.. and I don't need more.

Face it, the Wii is only selling because its target public is the "noobs" aka children from 0 to 12 (15 max), adults from 30 to 100. Sure it's a funny lil thing.. but.. it's nothing more.. the controls simply do not allow serious gaming it's a party thing, a fun thing. Nothing for serious gaming. and that's why it's cheap.. it's amazing.. cheap and fun.. people buys one.. enjoy it... and that's all.. most people aged from 15-25 that I know totally hate the wii because after playing it for a while.. the controls get annoying and they go back to serious gaming, aka PC, Xbox 360, and soon, the PS3, once some games come out.

If you aren't buying a Wii it's probably because you either have one or aren't interested in it.. so.. you are turning for something a bit more serious, aka Xbox 360.. and I'm telling you to wait a bit for the PS3 (it has a better HDD btw.. actually.. it has a better "everything")

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Where are you shopping that has a PS3 for $300?

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I just got a PS3. CoD4 is amazing, and I'm expecting the new titles next year to make it even better. While right now the PS3 and Xbox are probably equal (except for Halo everything the Xbox has, PS3 has), in a few months the PS3 will be pulling away steadily.

It has the Xbox with graphics, it comes with better harddrives, has wireless internet capabilities, and supports a better HD system including 1080 dpi resolution.

I'm expecting a new Xbox in the next year as well in order to keep up with the PS3 on the market. But don't expect it to surpass the PS3.

9. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    Before you guys go any further, let me say this. You guys are biased towards PlayStation

He isn't even looking for a PS, he is looking to buy a Xbox 360.

This sounds rude, I want to point out that I am not trying to be here.

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    How is it biased?

It's not MY PS3. And I've been saying this for a long time, even before the PS3 came out. It's a justifiable analysis.

I would wait for the next Xbox with higher capabilities rather than buy what can only be described as a sub-par console at this time.

Face it. It doesn't have nearly the capability that the Playstation does.

11. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

Capabilitys? Maybe not.
    But the 360 has a much stronger library thus far. That's to be expected though, it's been out longer.

12. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Of course, although it's debatable whether it has a "stronger" library anymore...

With the release of Assassin's Creed and CoD4, among some other titles, the PS3 now has the Xbox in a number of areas. Also, the 2008 lineup, as JBL had mentioned, heavily favors the PS3.

13. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

They're multiplat though, For both 360 and PS3. In terms of exclusive games, 360 has the edge. But the PS3 does have a strong upcoming year, so we'll see if they can cash in on that.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I have a funny thought:
    Do console wars in a DIFFERENT THREAD

The question was "should I get a 360 with a hard drive" Not "which console should I choose"
    Question answerd topic over. Thank you please come again.

15. JBL

JBL New Member

Sorry, I started it all.

My answer to the question is: No, wait a least 6 more months to see what happen with microsoft's new console and ps3 games... then.. either make your choice or wait 6 more months.

Play ps2 until then.

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Fanboy much?

Really Microsoft already answered his question since the core system was pulled from shelves and rep;aced with the arcade model so ALL 360s are sold with hard-drives  With the core system pulled from shelves and replaced by the LIVE arcade model all 360s are sold with hard-drives anyway but the arcade model is lacking so you might want to go with one with a bigger hard-drive if you plan on storing more than just save games (like music and stuff bought with live marketplace points)

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    BoP, the only one showing any type of bias toward either system here is you.

We're merely suggesting that someone not buy a system that is obsolete at this point in its release. It was released nearly two years ago, it's pretty outdated by now, and JBL is saying they're going to release a new Xbox very soon, and I agree with him.

Therefore, wait for the new Xbox and/or reassess the situation. But now is not the time to buy an Xbox 360.

So don't talk about "fanboys" and bias when we're simply directing him to a smart choice because of the timing of the market.

18. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    BoP didn't say anything about bias jon, that was me.

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    How is answering his question a bias?

He asked about a 360 and instead of answering his question you are trying to sell a different system.  Basically you have said the PS3 is the only choice because the Wii is for kids and the 360 is outdated.  Maybe he doesn't want a PS3 maybe he wants to be able to play Halo 3, Gears of War and Mass Effect or some other 360 game which isn't available on the PS3.

Also he mentioned that he didn't want to spend too much.  You response to this is to suggest a system that can cost around $200 more depending on configuration. Yes the PS3 is better but not everyone can afford high end stuff and are perfectly happy with the mid-end stuff.  What you are doing is the equivalent of telling somone to buy a high end video card when somone asked about the difference between two mid-range cards.

Frankly I am confused as to why you are changing the topic from answering a question to advertisement.  I was under the impression that global mods were supposed to be some higher form of life who's job is to make sure that DOESN'T happen.

If somone asks what system should he buy then by all means pitch the PS3 but when somone asks questions about a different system your focus should be on that system.

Also the fanboy thing was a poke at JBL saying that instead of getting a 360 which is 2 years old to play a PS2 which is older. Shows me he likes Sony

20. JBL

JBL New Member

BoP were you calling me a fanboy?

if I'm a fanboy of a video game console, it certainly is not the ps3.. nor the ps2

I said that ps2 thing because if you argue that the games on xbox360 are better than ps3.. then I could just tell you that there are many more interesting games on the ps2.. why do you think they keep making ps2 games? because it makes $$ did you notice that they still sell ps2? they probably sell more than the PS3s! LOL

the only consoles that you can call me fanboy of is either the NES, the SNES or the N64. Those 3 are the consoles I use the most to play video games, including my PC.

So.. I'm neutral about the current generation consoles.. I'm not planning to get any of these.. in fact.. I'm looking for a NES..

TETRIS FTW!