A new protoss Artillery and Arbiter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anubis_theDark, Sep 19, 2007.

A new protoss Artillery and Arbiter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anubis_theDark, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

In the last few days there has been a great debate about the reaver and the protoss need for an artillery unit. Now since the protoss have been given alot of mech-like units and some of us feel there is need for a new reaver i have an ideea. A second mech , smaller in size than the colossus, but a little bigger than the viking, with dual cannons that fire a sort of advanced plasma or laser projectile (something that would go along well with protoss design) and has 2 big legs and one front leg to uphold him while fireing. The front leg only deployes when fireing, but it would not be a deployment animation like that of the siege tank - but simply the leg touches the ground and boom the mech fires (think of the artillery mech in starwars the republic had at-ap - or something like that). Would have a range close to that of the reaver and an attack that does moderate splash damage. A sketch of my ideea is the fisrt one - i called it the reaver mk2.

A second thing i would like to pint is the absence of the arbiter. I like the mother ship and her steath field ability for everything but that star relic return that i heard about made me wonder if its a good choice. The design of the star relic is somehow strange and verry wrong for the protoss. The arbiter was one of the best looking units and had a verry important role - that of a permanent cloaker. Could have the same role but only for units, leaving the MS with the allover cloaking field. I think the arbiter is a 'must return unit' because of the abilites it had - recall, stasys field and cloaking field, and the fact that is had a great simbolistic role to the overall design of the armie. I made a sketch of a new arbiter just for the show:) .

PS: I know according to some my skills are not worthy of posting but try to get over it.

2. DontHate

DontHate New Member

whoa dude! those are great!!!. unfortunatly, the first reaver looks a lot like a viking, and the arbiter looks a lot like a probe or observer. still though, that's great drawing.

3. Anubis_theDark

Viking?! Well that means that any mech with dual cannons on it's sides looks like a viking. The mk2 reaver i made is inspired from the colossus+old reaver design with my own legs ideea. As for the arbiter - doesn't looks like a prob or the arbiter - i made it specificly after the old arbiter but changed a little here and there. But then again thats your opinion. But the drawings are not the important thing - the ideea itself is what is important. The sketches i made to support the ideea.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I really like the Arbiter Mk II, but the Reaver Mk II looks much more Terran, albeit more rounded with three legs.

I truly did love the old slug.

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i dunno, those 3 forward facing legs on that reaver MK II looks a little clumsy, i don't think it will move well

6. Anubis_theDark

yes it will - only the two lage legs work in normal walking, the third frontal leg deployes only when fireing.

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Then it should be in back, to push against the kick-back from the guns, which, seeing as how they fire energy, technically shouldn't have kickback.

8. Anubis_theDark

it's not for the kick back of it's fireing but for a greater accuracy and onces deployed the leg the upper turret can move (that gives the leg more importance :) ) enableing the reaver to fire 360 degrees.

9. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

your drawings are amazing!! i really liked the Reaver mkII,even thou it looks a bit too terran-like to me. yes,both the Reaver and the Arbiter shoud come back.Protoss need an artillery unit and a support aircraft(let's face it,a Mothership simply CAN'T be used as a support aircraft,it's too freaking big,and would be focus-fired on sight),and they ALREADY have it:the Reaver and the Arbiter.so Blizzard should NOT remove them.

but back to your drawings:the reaver should be reworked.maybe make it more tank-like,and give it a single cannon instead of dual cannons.the Arbiter is nice as it is.

10. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

understand, mechs = terran. Sorry protoss people, you have the 4 legged crawlers, we have the mechs, its like having a 4 legged unit for terrans aint gonna happen.

The collosus is your artilery unit imo, that + the immortal is what you want to get through choke points.

Protoss will not get mechs, any mech will either be very terran like or look like a zealot/dark templar. I dont really see it happen. Besides, whats not to like about the colossus? A 3 legged giant, with dual non stop lazers? I mean CMON now...

11. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

the only thing that's not to like about the colossus is that you can't do a nice "colossus-drop",but if we had reavers...

12. Anubis_theDark

the colossus is great people but you all tend to forget something - it's not out of defences rnge and it gets poundede by bouth a-g and a-a defences. So haveing a unit that gets ass kicked from everywhere as a siege unit is kinda lame. as for the immortal - from what i/ve seen the only thing that unit well be able to destroy is high dmg units such as siege tanks (and from what i know it only fires on ground) so again in a siege it wouldn't help to much. The only unit protoss can use in a siege is the warp ray wich is indeed a building killer - but if you get in a terran base protected by lets say 4-5 Mturrets your warp rays get pounded verry fast - do not forget the warp ray has verry little hp/shields. So basicly at this point protoss have no siege unit - the colossus is to big and has low range for a good siege, the immortal has a shield that only activates on heavy attacks, and the warp ray is verry vulnerable to a-a attacks. Against a terran defender protoss get their ass kicked faster than you can say toss.

13. Anubis_theDark

Oki so here is a modified version of the reaver mk2 - based on the old slime chassis, has gained 4 legs for a little faster movement and a powerfull cannon for long range bombardment. The sketch i made verry fast so don't mind the pour quality of the scan:) .

14. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

the new mk2 reaver is better. if you put some wings to it it will look like a dragoon fly.

yah the first version of your m2 reaver looks more terran, the feet or legs look like terrans mech. anyway i can still see the reaver and colossus resemblance on it.

did you join the create your own unit contest? is this your entry?

i think you should join. 8)

15. Anubis_theDark

Nop. For that contest i'm going to do something else. Anyway as i said before is not about the sketches as for the ideea itself. A beefed reaver concept as an artillery platform to fill the siege unit gap in the protoss arsenal.

16. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Well how often was the Reaver used like Artillery (Siege Tank)? The protoss will now use Timebomb to disable defenses, firing from outside the enemys range is "Terran". Protoss don´t need Artillery since they have a differnet aproach to the Problem.

17. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    i really like the second reaver, but maybe instead of legs you could make something like anti-grav pads, so that it kinda hovers above the ground, i think its a good idea for protoss, plus its unique

18. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    you know what would be cool, as a new advantage to it is that if there is any near surface water that the reaver walks on top of it like a water spider and when it steps down with its legs gravity discs form at the surface of the water were the leg is?, nice blue ones! making the reaver walk on water.

19. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Walking on water won´t work since water = free space in SC, otherwise you would need lakes in space!

20. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    ive always liked the idea of water-based combat in starcraft, someone should start a thread for it