A look at the Protoss compared to the other 2 races

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Bthammer45, May 27, 2009.

A look at the Protoss compared to the other 2 races

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Bthammer45, May 27, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

They seem to be in second in terms of strength but we will see what happens what do you think would put them in balance with the other 2 race?

Cost ?
    health ?
    abilities ?
    upgrading tiers ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  2. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Being able to lift off there.Edit: (Nexus), thats what i'm doing asap on that game, like they did on that br, lol. hmmmm that edit doesnt sound right.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  3. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    Uh, this is the protoss board man.

4. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

me or him because i know it needs a change to protoss.

5. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    L O L xD

6. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i only see a problem with the colossus. I's not a total Phail unit but if your ganna blow the amount of cash there asking for the unit better be able to suvive more then 3/4 seconds of taking fire...

other then that maybe the dark pylon should be puhed up to later tiers? idk it sounds a little too good for as early as you can get it.

7. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The colossus has recently been updated to do 40-46 damage per sweep, but we've yet to see the new colossus in action.

8. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

The colossus does 2 sweeps of 23 damage .

Take away the ability for air units to attack it.

The carrier should get some kind of timed shield thing that reduces the damage or it should have some kind of improved shields and reduced range acting more like a capital ship that gets in the thick of it but the damage it deals is fine but the interceptors should be fast moving and should stay close to the target.

9. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

To be honest the colossus being vunarable to air is cool. given the fact you(as protoss) should have better A with stalkers, and phenixes defending them shouldnt be hard.

as for the carriers. they do need something just nothing major. Really aslong as intercopters are still causing chaos i dont see a problem with them. altho the ability for them to cast a long range assult of some kind would be fiarly nice. I'm thinking something along the lines of what tassadar did except it would leave the carrier shield less. Something to send a nice beam of energy at a target.

a gimped yamato.

10. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

See I liked that idea of the improved shield of the tempest. I want to see something like the carrier that can lead into the thick of battle and somewhat take care of itself like the battle cruiser can not something that lays in the back and ambushes the enemy I think this is the main reason why it was a mass unit versus a unit that could be employed 1 or 2 at a time.

The colossus being vulnerable to so much is why it goes down so fast.

11. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

to be honest a unit that has the easyest time walking up and down cliffs does not need to be SUPER hard to kill. yes it needs to be killable but not that killable like we have seen it in BR1.

As for the protoss carrier if they wanted the unit to be an upclose fighter it would of had a crappyer range... thats not the case. its range is long and aslong as its range is long thats how its expected to be used.

12. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Oh I know but I wish it was the other way around and that's what i would of liked to see.

13. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    Id like to see the carrier have a special ability, yes like the improved shield, or a more offensive one. :)
    I think that overall, Toss do seem seond to Terrans in terms of force. (vut thats just my 2 cents) :D

14. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    From what I have seen the Protoss really need the sturdiness back. In BR1 the Protoss units didn't seem any string than the Terran ones 1v1, what happened to cost more but more powerful Protoss? I think the Protoss need a minor decrease in their numbers with a little bit extra health and shield wise.

15. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I have been saying a preaching this since the beginning especially with the stalker being a weaker version of the dragoon and really would like to see a different unit get blink and the stalker having something else along with being stronger(the immortal is a new unit the stalker is the real replacement for the dragoon because its a ground and air unit).

Also the Terran units have seemed to step up and take the protosse's damage and health aspects.

I want to see the colossus being a death machine like in the beginning, the carrier being a upclose tank like the tempest and the every unit to hold its own more.

units like this include the archon, zealot (although it did get a 10 health decrease), and everyone's favorite the mighty immortal (the carrier should be a immortal of the sky somewhat like what they had with the tempest)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  16. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Actually, they're all balancing features. I think most of us have been coming to conclusions just by simply looking at ONE battle report. Okay i'll point out some crucial weaknesses of the players. First, i've noticed that the Protoss player Matt cooper (MC) didn't not maintain an appropriate mix of units. In the early game, he was dominating due to the effective combination of Zealots and Stalkers. However, in the later game, he stopped using zealots against David Kim due to the appearance of Hellions. This was one of the primary reasons which led to his demise. Furthermore, the Stalker excels at Machines/Armored units like the dragoon was, though with less damage albeit much better mobility. By using stalkers against Marauders was a grave move since it did not incur bonus damage.

Throughout the match, Matt Cooper performed relatively infrequent micros to his stalkers. Inspite of having researched Blink, he didn't use it to full potential for both offensive and defensive (Kiting is one example) and again, he pitted against a horde of Marauders which did damage bonus, leading to it's demise. On a side note, i agree that Protoss should be equipped with an additional Anti-Air unit or prehaps reintroduce the Matrix attack which allowed Phoenixes to hit miltiple enemies.

17. Ych

Ych New Member

I agree about the HP factor for the Protoss. They should have the cost more yet more powerful theme like what LordKerwyn stated. I made a post in the past about their overall intimidate theme in SC1 when compared to their SC2 counterpoart.

In Sc1, the first unit line for the Protoss is a Zealot. A freaking Zealot with 60 shields and 100 HP. That is 4 times the HP compared to a single Marine. A single Zealot actually has more HP then a freaking Siege Tank. How intimidating is that? The first unit that you get actually has more HP then a mid-tiered Terran unit. Not to mention, it has MORE HP then every single Zerg unit with the exception of the Devourer and the Ultralisk. How many of you guys when you started off learning SC, shat your pants when you see half of dozen zealots charging into your base early game? I know I did.

In Sc2, the overall intimidating factor is disappearing with the introduction of the Terran Marauders and Zerg Roaches. These early game units have HP comparable to the Zealots making the Protoss overall HP advantage and intimidation factor diminish dramatically.

However, that was the thing in the past. I felt that Protoss was losing it's HP and overall intimidate factor until Karune made a post today.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=17616155590&sid=3000

It looks like Protoss has undergone another huge revamp since we last knew about them. Blizzard took a different approach to the overall Protoss HP and intimidation factor. Although the Protoss in SC2 doesn't have a huge HP advantage over the other race compared to say SC1, Blizzard has explained about the new mechanics regarding to this issue. It seems that the retreating strategy is going to be very important. Shield Reg regenerates shield 2X faster out of combat. Obelisk (newly replaced Dark Pylon), has an ability that acts like a shield battery. Not to mention, a bunch of newly replacement spells like the Time Bomb on HT and Phase Shift on the Disruptor. All these new spell replacements could prove to be extremely useful in having every Protoss unit survive longer. After reading Karune's post , my worry about the overall HP and intimidation factor of the Protoss has disappeared. Because to makeup for the HP which made Protoss units soo intimidating in SC1, Protoss have gained shield regeneration and their overall supporting spells to compensate their HP issue in SC2. Therefore, Protoss still has that STRONG YET EXPENSIVE theme. But with a different taste. :)

18. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

My biggest problem is with the carrier ya it got more range but now being the capital ship of the protoss it should be able to stand up with the battle cruiser, not standing in the back scared its going to get scratched.

19. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Reavers are still better than collossus Period....

20. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    that the Toss have better regeneration of shield if actually a given :) What I am afraid about, is that their shield is too scarce compared to SC1. I'd rather have 80 Shield that regenerates slowly at any time, than a 40 shield that only regenerates when out of battle (even if its a higher rate). Since when was fleeing a Protoss strategy? LOL
    oh, and 40 shield is useless because it wears off pretty quickly.

I hardly see how less shield makes up for more shield, even if it reg faster, lets keep in mind that it's only OUT of combat.
    How about, instead of 80 shields that reg at a standard rate anytime,I give you a "10 Shield unit" that regenerates 8 times faster? Yeah, I think you get my point, in direct combat it makes shield look much less of use.

No, Toss really DO need their HP Intimidation back. :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009