a HT idea that i came up with =]

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by AcE_01, Feb 5, 2008.

?

What do you think?

1. I like the idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, forget it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but.... (State your comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

a HT idea that i came up with =]

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by AcE_01, Feb 5, 2008.

1. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    After reading the new Q&A batch, karune told us that the HT has a new ability that can lift off units and/or buildings off the ground making it useless. So i thought...hey, this is kinda the same as maelstrom just lifting the enemy (and enemy buildings) off the ground. So i came up with a new idea that hasnt been used =]

Gravitational Pull
    An AOE spell, the High Templar will take about 1 or 2 seconds to release this spell, finding his inner powers. once released, the enemy that got hit by it gets pulled right in the middle of the AOE circle, making them cluster up. once in the middle of the circle, they will be stuck there for about 1 seconds, then released (this will work with air unit aswell). The animation will be a quick ground movement (or the air movement), bending the space/ground and then being quickly sucked in to the middle ( like..really fast) =].

This spell would be a great offence if you have another High Templar, who can cast psi storm, or even some Twilight Archons or Collosus, who will make quick work of the enemy.

So what do you guys reckon? ^_^

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    It allows numerous strategies to be employed. It also utilizes current Protoss abilities making the units attributes more effective, for example:

• Clustered units die quicker due to the Colossus as it doesn't have to straft its beam around everywhere.
    • Psi Storm becomes a lot more potent as units are closer together and get held in the AoE of the Storm for long than if they was allowed to run away.
    • Twighlight Archon's splash damage would be more effective since the units are clustered.
    • Allows time for the Nullifier to surround units with Forcefield.
    • Units will be surrounded by Zealots easier meaning trouble for the enemy.
    • Devestating Planet cracker effects since the units are clustered.
    • Groups units which allows time for Phoenix to get in correct positions for a sucessful Overload

It is the type of ability were the use isn't that obvious and in your face like a Psi Storm but when used right the effects could be pretty powerful as stated above, and the good thing you can use it in conjunction with your units.
    This may also shut the people up who complain about having a blackhole as this is a similar effect and not really imbalanced as for it to take full effect you need to do the above effectivly.

Add a vote, with a yes and no if they like the ability.

3. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    That actually sounds like a really cool ability, Ace! Zergalicious, you did a great job of listing the uses of this ability. I have a few questions though: how would it affect burrowed units, if at all? Would it affect doodads?

Overall, I give it two thumbs up. I'd give both of you guys a :powerup: if I could

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Hehe ty, I can't see it effecting burrowed units. And if it was to effect doodads there could be various problems such as blocking a choke permenantly since not all doodads can be destroyed.

5. beBoy

beBoy New Member

I voted "Yes, but.."

edited: ack I didn't read the post really...  here's my real comments:

I think it would be better if everything is clustered up in the air rather on the ground. The reason is that StarCraft tends to have more splash-damage ground units than air units. This would make this spell nicer to perform.

The main part isn't really on whether units are still functional after being casted, nor whether buildings are affected, it's just that it gets things up the air so to clear up the ground for your ground troops to move into a better positions. Protoss are really strong and tough and it'll be even better if they could get theirselves in a better position by casting this spell to them.

6. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

I think that that would be a good idea, but I mean how often would that be used? It would be an occasional thing, not like the more common psi storm.

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

all i can say is cute megaman sig. ^^

8. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

LOL...it kinda looks like a baby ;)

9. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    LOL!

hey? who put a poll up? cuz i didnt.....lol.. =]

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It made itself?

11. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i swear to everyone that i didnt put a poll!!..last night i did this tread...and thats it...unless...someone hacked into my account..hmm....

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Or one of our mods thought it was a good idea to put up a poll to see everyone's opinion

or you have amnesia

13. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ic...lol =] that cool

so anywayz..back to the topic..about what u said jrc3234, i think the cooldown should be pertty long since it is a pretty powerful spell.
    OR
    it should take alot...and i mean alot! of energy...like 200 or something. since Protoss have the "energy exchange thingy thingy concept" ....

yeah =]

14. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

The ability sounds great but it seems a bit overpowered even with a high energy cost and long cool down rate. Take the Zerg race for example; Their strength is in numbers and if placed properly, this gravitation pull coupled with psionic storm would destroy their units in no time. At least in StarCraft 1, people could pull their units from the storm (with the exception of a maelstrom being cast but who really uses maelstrom?)

All you need is a group of twelve high templars to annihilate an entire zerg force. Six to cast storm and six to cast gravitational pull. I have to say that the Zerg player would be thoroughly frustrated.

Though this is a nice play on the gravity bending role.

15. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

The vacuum idea isn't unheard of but I like it in all times of games. The biggest advantage would be to pull some units that are blocking a path from you getting to their long range units so you could sneak some zeals in there for a sec.

Suggestion though: 3/4th sec cast and they aren't held there. That way it becomes a little more balanced. If it was not only a snare but a way to gather the enemy together(ie: removing all skill needed in placement of your units) it becomes imbalanced. Not only what could happen in the above post but 12 hts could also snare a team for a very long time. Combined with nullifiers some ground forces could literally be blocked against a wall for a decent time so that proper counters and units could be brought in to annihilate them.

16. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    mmm....your right..your all right...

yeah! make it non held time. i still dont know about making it 3 or 4 second casting time....enemy can kill the unit by that time...and this spell will pretty much drain most of the HT energy, leaving him useless...

but yeah =]
    discuss away =D